Author Topic: MODERATORS. PLEASE GET RID OF THOSE THREADS  (Read 8130 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: MODERATORS. PLEASE GET RID OF THOSE THREADS
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 01:06:40 AM »
Todd,

Aha.

Got it apart from the purply ness. That didn't happen just by pressing quote. Told you it had to be idiot-proof. ;)

Nearly there.

Ive

You are close Ivor!

The key is to not type over or delete any of the text that you are seeing after you hit the QUOTE button...SCROLL PAST that text and write underneath it...in other words, find this:

[/quote]

...and start writing your new message beneath the [/quote] sign...

After you hit POST the highlighted purple should show above your message.

Try again!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:14:52 AM by Leo K »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »
I am a co-moderator on a Yahoo forum on an unrelated topic and I have the capability to approve/disapprove applications for membership at that forum.  Applicants must show some knowledge of the topic to demonstrate their worthiness of membership acceptance for me to give approval, which separates the spammers from the legitimate applicants.  Though I can't remember if that was the same procedure required here when I joined the Mahler Board, is there a similar membership acceptance process in effect here?

Wade
Previously, the only security used to approve new users (and avoid robot spammers) was something built into the forum software whereby they had to type a sequence of slightly obscured numbers-letters-symbols.  I haven't quite decided how I will approve new users in the future.  Your idea sounds like a good one though. 
Scott

Offline stillivor

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »
Todd,

Not there yet.

Now the problem is getting only the bit I've copied to appear under the purple.

I highlight a particular bit, yet when I look at the preview, there is more under the purply bit than I highlighted.

This kind of thing always seems to happen for me when trying out a new bit of a technology.

Ivor

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »

Not there yet.
Now the problem is getting only the bit I've copied to appear under the purple.
I highlight a particular bit, yet when I look at the preview, there is more under the purply bit than I highlighted.
This kind of thing always seems to happen for me when trying out a new bit of a technology.

Ivor

Ivor,

Let me give this a try. Here's how I do it, from the beginning:

1) Click on the "quote" button associated with the post from which you want to quote.

2) The entire post to be quoted will appear in a new white box, preceded and followed by some code enclosed in square brackets. This bracketed code tells the system when to begin and end the purple field, indicating that it's a quote. DO NOT ALTER THE BRACKETED CODES.

3) You may freely remove portions of the text of the original message found between the two bracketed codes, just as you would edit one of your own posts—simply delete any unwanted words or sentences using normal typing functions. Highlighting is not necessary or helpful.

4) Then add your own new message BELOW the second bit of bracketed code.

5) Finally, hit the "Preview" button and see if it all worked to your satisfaction.

After you've used this feature a bit and understand its logic, you'll figure out how to deal with multiple quotes and quotes-within-quotes, editing them as you desire. Like most things, once you "get it," it will seem quite simple.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline stillivor

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 09:59:39 PM »
James,

Thank you very much. Got it now.  8) 

Ivor

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk