Author Topic: Haitink M5  (Read 5320 times)

Wunderhorn

Haitink M5
« on: March 06, 2007, 04:32:35 AM »
Haitink famous M5 with the RCO is to be remastered and released by Pentatone in June 2007.

Offline John Kim

Re: Haitink M5
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 04:43:34 AM »
I don't know if it is "famous" but it is certainly an estimable M5th. I'd rather want to see Haitink's RCO M3rd and M9th appear on this label.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 07:15:36 AM »
Another remastered version is already out!

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=10819

Wunderhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 07:37:38 AM »
I think it is actually a CDR that Archiv had permission to duplicate. Once the Pentatone comes out, I don't know if it will still be around.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 06:33:27 PM »
I don't know if it is "famous" but it is certainly an estimable M5th. I'd rather want to see Haitink's RCO M3rd and M9th appear on this label.

John,

Since this is Pentatone, I am assuming that it is a Quad recording being released as an SACD (i.e. Pentatone RQR Series).  No doubt, I'd rather see his M3 released as an SACD, or better yet, his DLvdE.  But I doubt that they get considered unless they are Quad recordings. 

We really need one of the classic DLvdE's released on SACD.  I hate the few that are available in that format. 
Scott

Offline akiralx

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:54:26 PM »
Haitink famous M5 with the RCO is to be remastered and released by Pentatone in June 2007.

Actually this the first Mahler recording I bought, years ago.  I much preferred it to Kubelik's DG recording which a friend lent me.  I'm not sure it would be among my top M5s now, but I do like Haitink's handling of the finale in this one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk