Author Topic: Susan M. Filler arrangement  (Read 5208 times)

Wunderhorn

Susan M. Filler arrangement
« on: March 06, 2007, 06:01:33 AM »
Does anyone know of a recording of her arrangement of the two sketched movements?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 06:04:09 AM by Wunderhorn »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Susan M. Filler arrangement
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 08:04:01 AM »
Wunderhorn,

Sketched movements to what piece of music?

Wunderhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 09:30:32 AM »
http://chicago-mahlerites.org/sfiller2mvmts/filler2mvmts.html

Above is the link to the article, rather long. The gist being that two Mahler fragments exist dating from around the 4th symphony. They are somewhat fragmented and very unrealized, But Ms. Filler took it upon herself to try and realize them into two playable movements. Alban Berg identified the fragments as most probably belonging to Mahler but it is still not conclusive. You would think handwriting would reveal the answer, but the article mysteriously didn't mention anything related to this. I don't know if it is absolutely vital to have this music in playable form, as Mahler himself never made anything of it; But some would beg to differ. The idea is raised that it could have been early sketches of the 7th?

pincopallino

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 10:15:43 AM »
What about asking her directly? I was in contact with her a few years ago, if she hasn't changed mail address I may forward her your question.

Wunderhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 11:57:59 AM »
Many composer did little more then scribble like doctors. This could possibly be the case with Mahler, therefore it could be difficult to trace it to him, now that I think of it.  :-\

Personally I don't care if Mahler wrote it or not, if it sounds like Mahler that's good enough for me.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk