Author Topic: Favorite M9?  (Read 29011 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Favorite M9?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 05:48:37 AM »
But for me, it is the Oue's version that reigns over all other recordings for now. Todd, Barry, and I discussed about the recording numerous times, so please refer to the old postings for details.

John,

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »
Chailly/RCO

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 11:51:02 AM »
I've spent a bit of time listening to the Lenny/RCO M9 and I must say...I really like it!  It's too early for me to say definitively yet but I think that one might be my favorite Bernstein M9th.
However...that said...it seems in the Finale as though the sonic characteristics change a couple of times.  I've only listened once, and I hope that is not the case...because honestly it was quite noticeable and distracting from the mood of the performance.
Any thoughts, John or anyone else who is a little more familiar with this recording?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:09:02 PM by Michael »
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 05:28:04 PM »
I've spent a bit of time listening to the Lenny/RCO M9 and I must say...I really like it!  It's too early for me to say definitively yet but I think that one might be my favorite Bernstein M9th.
However...that said...it seems in the Finale as though the sonic characteristics change a couple of times.  I've only listened once, and I hope that is not the case...because honestly it was quite noticeable and distracting from the mood of the performance.
Any thoughts, John or anyone else who is a little more familiar with this recording?
Michael,

As far as I can recall, there were no such sonic glitches. But perhaps I should return to the recording and listen carefully.

Can you give me the spots in IV you found problematic?

John,

Offline Michael

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 11:38:21 PM »
Hi John,

Well, on second listening, everything sounds okay.  I probably had my volume too high and admittedly I was not in the best of listening environments.  Also, I'm having a few problems with headphones, so...

Take care,
Michael

P.S. Is it me or is the Finale really slow?
Michael

Offline John Kim

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »
P.S. Is it me or is the Finale really slow?
Its is SLOOWWW. But it is INTENSELY slow, so every bar, every measure counts in Lenny's reading.

So, it doesn't matter and doesn't bother me at all that it's SO slow.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »
It's amazing because if you look at the score there aren't all that many pages for the Adagio. You would think the movt. will be all done within just 10 min. ::)

John,
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:18:31 AM by John Kim »

Offline mahler09

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 02:57:59 AM »
Riccardo Chailly & RCO's recording of the ninth is good and his complete Mahler symphonies (in box set) are very well done overall.  (In fact they make up my favorites for many of the symphonies.)  My favorite has Simon Rattle with the Berlin Philharmonic though for No. 9. 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 06:46:39 AM »
single disc: Alan Gilbert/RSPO (BIS)

2 disc set: "live" Karajan, 1981

bootleg: Bernstein/B.S.O./Tangelwood, 1979

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »
single disc: Alan Gilbert/RSPO (BIS)

2 disc set: "live" Karajan, 1981

bootleg: Bernstein/B.S.O./Tangelwood, 1979

You have reminded me to return to the Gilbert M9...

His M3/NYPO is out of this world...it has become one of my favorite recordings of Mahler ever.

--Todd

Offline John F

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 01:20:24 AM »
A couple other recordings not yet mentioned that I enjoy are:

Kurt Sanderling / BBC

Barenboim / Staatskapelle Berlin

John

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 03:13:59 AM »
I gave Bernstein RCO a spin yesterday - I have to say it is a good disc, but the intonation of the lower brass just almost spoils the deal for me. And it is not just isolated to one or two spots - it is pretty consistently out. Anybody else bothered by this?

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 06:33:25 AM »
I gave Bernstein RCO a spin yesterday - I have to say it is a good disc, but the intonation of the lower brass just almost spoils the deal for me. And it is not just isolated to one or two spots - it is pretty consistently out. Anybody else bothered by this?

The brass sounds fine to my ears, but it may be the limitations of the CD mastering that effects the timbre of the orchestra...the vinyl sounds incredible, the RCO sound fantastic.  It is just fantastic.  I wish I knew how to make a needle drop!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
I don't have the trouble with the brass. I think the RCO brass always sounds a little too cultivated and cautious or even reticent. What concerns me though is the less than ideal recording quality which is rather shrill and lacks bass. I picked up a French remastered version of this recording at a used CD store and can attest this one sounds better than the US release or any other version I've encountered.

John

Offline Michael

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 09:55:26 PM »
There is an issue in the Finale quacks a wrong note near the first climax in the Finale...terrible.
Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk