Author Topic: Mahler LP cover art  (Read 13646 times)

Offline akiralx

Mahler LP cover art
« on: January 27, 2010, 04:12:53 AM »

A friend and I always try and get original LP coverart when putting Mahler (or any composer in fact) on our ipods - sad, I know, but it can be quite enjoyable hunting them down...  Here are a few:

Offline John Kim

Re: Mahler LP cover art
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 04:27:55 AM »
They all look fascinating!!

I have the Abbado M2nd and M4th LPs. In my old Boston days, I used to hang a color copy of the Abbado/CSO/DG M2nd on a wall of my office.

Everyone who visited the office was impressed with the picture, although most of them had little idea who the composer was.

You should also try Levine's Mahler series on RCA, especially the Third that has a cartoon shwoing G.Mahler talking to animals in a deep forest.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:22:02 AM »
I've forgotten how to transfer photos because I haven't done it in such a long time. Anyway, my very favorite cover is the Mehta/Israel Phil. M6 on Teldec. My next favorite is the Levine/Chicago S.O. M3 on RCA (Maurice Sendak). I'll try transfer them later in the week, when I have more time.

Barry

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:39:06 PM »
Two of my favorite covers are the Levine M10 and the Slatkin M2.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:53:18 PM »

You should also try Levine's Mahler series on RCA, especially the Third that has a cartoon shwoing G.Mahler talking to animals in a deep forest.

John,

What a great thead!

I just found the Levine M3 at the used vinyl store here in town...it's one of my favorite covers now!

--Todd

Offline waderice

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »
I remember one Mahler LP cover where the cover art was superior to the performance.  That was the early 1970's performance of M2 by Ormandy/Philadelphia on RCA.  The cover art had a great photo from one of the 1960's earth-orbit space flights looking into the sun on an early morning sunrise with the Florida peninsula below.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 06:17:09 PM »
I remember one Mahler LP cover where the cover art was superior to the performance.  That was the early 1970's performance of M2 by Ormandy/Philadelphia on RCA.  The cover art had a great photo from one of the 1960's earth-orbit space flights looking into the sun on an early morning sunrise with the Florida peninsula below.

I just found this LP too!  I've heard some good things about the performance so I'd thought I'd give it a try, and it's never been on CD if I remember correctly.

--Todd

Offline akiralx

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 05:01:25 AM »

Here are a couple more favourites, not Mahler, alas:

Note the former is DB's Westminster recording, not the one with Klemperer - which for the sake of completeness is below!

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 05:24:35 AM »
Here are a couple more favourites, not Mahler, alas:

Yes, that was a wonderful series of covers, wasn't it? There's a website somewhere with all of them.

The Boult/Holst cover you included contains what is absolutely the worst performance of The Planets I've ever heard.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline akiralx

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 06:25:33 AM »

Yes the strange thing is that barely a year later more or less the same players would make a highly praised recording with Karajan.

Offline stillivor

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 07:35:37 PM »
My favourite covers are no doubt a lot about nostalgia.

The first that always springs to my mind is the late 50s [not 50's, note  ;) ] Saga recording of No.7 under Rosbaud. A dark photograph in the spirit of the German Romantic painter C.D.Friedrich. Yes, I know it's not origi....oh, I don't know - cartier-Bresson, and all that.

And the second is Delta [UK]'s M6 under Adler, which may well be original art.

They're both probably on the net somewhere.

Ivor.

Offline waderice

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 08:04:38 PM »
The offbeat album covers were, no doubt, an attempt to get classical music to appeal to the pop culture crowd, which likely succeeded in considerably less than 1% of all cases.  Likely the one with Sir Adrian Boult's recording of "The Planets" had to come out at about the time the cult film, "Barbarella" with Jane Fonda, was made.  There we go, the pop culture crowd again - that film had the villain Duran Duran, a name of which was adopted by a rock band of the time.

Wade

Offline Russell

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:36:15 PM »

I just found this LP too!  I've heard some good things about the performance so I'd thought I'd give it a try, and it's never been on CD if I remember correctly.

--Todd

Actually, RCA Japan released this recording on CD a few years ago.  I've got it (and believe John has it as well).  I like this performance a lot and have owned it on LP (US and German pressings), reel-to-reel, and now CD.  The only problem with it was that it had a horrible distortion whenever the music got even moderately loud. It wasn't an LP pressing issue, as the reel-to-reel copy had it as well.  I was shocked that this slipped by the recording engineers back then, and I don't recall the (mostly) ecstatic reviews of the time mentioning it, either.  The Japanese RCA CD transfer mitigates the distortion to some degree, but it's not totally free of it.

Russell

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 11:46:17 PM »
I remember one Mahler LP cover where the cover art was superior to the performance.  That was the early 1970's performance of M2 by Ormandy/Philadelphia on RCA.  The cover art had a great photo from one of the 1960's earth-orbit space flights looking into the sun on an early morning sunrise with the Florida peninsula below.

I just found this LP too!  I've heard some good things about the performance so I'd thought I'd give it a try, and it's never been on CD if I remember correctly.

--Todd

Actually, RCA Japan released this recording on CD a few years ago.  I've got it (and believe John has it as well).  I like this performance a lot and have owned it on LP (US and German pressings), reel-to-reel, and now CD.  The only problem with it was that it had a horrible distortion whenever the music got even moderately loud. It wasn't an LP pressing issue, as the reel-to-reel copy had it as well.  I was shocked that this slipped by the recording engineers back then, and I don't recall the (mostly) ecstatic reviews of the time mentioning it, either.  The Japanese RCA CD transfer mitigates the distortion to some degree, but it's not totally free of it.

Russell
That's correct. The performance is pretty darn good with a natural flow and lots of musicality going for it (as always the case with Ormandy). But the audible distortion is so annoying that I haven't played it after hearing it once. I am surprised that both LPs and reel-to-reel tapes had the same problem. I know that there are serious Ormandy devotees out there wanting to hear this recording, so RCA owes to clean up the sonics and reissue the recording.

John,
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:03:40 AM by John Kim »

john haueisen

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 10:51:56 PM »
My favorite LP cover art was the Levine M3 (with Marilyn Horne).
The cover art shows animals of the forest, out in the night, looking into Mahler's composing hut, where there is a silhouettle of Mahler at work composing.  An angel is handing Mahler, through the window, a bouquet of flowers.
For me, it has captured the "delight-in-nature"l spirit of Mahler, showing his affinity for nature, animals of the forest, and night.
It was wonderfully done by the famous children's book illustrator, Maurice Sendak.

--John H
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 08:57:13 PM by john haueisen »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk