Author Topic: Solti/LSO/Decca M3rd from the 60s  (Read 10208 times)

Offline John Kim

Solti/LSO/Decca M3rd from the 60s
« on: February 09, 2010, 06:47:51 AM »
I've been listening to Solti's analogue recording of M3rd. Revisiting it in a long time, I find it surprisingly likable. First, it has Decca's gorgeous 'ffss – Full Frequency Stereophonic Sound' from their peak time. Second, as in Solti's M1st and M2nd from the same period it shows the LSO in its top form abound in power, with a unique Mahlerian style and technical prowess, all of which must have been rare at that time. No wonder their later renditions with Horenstein and MTT were so successful. Solti has a good sense for the structure and molds each movt. convincingly, if not entirely successfully; the controversial Finale clocks in just under 20 min. but it doesn't feel as fast it actually is. The balance and dynamics employed throughout are very similar to the M2nd; the loud and blazing brass, the low string occasionally springing and roaring in the background with a prominence, with strong contrasts between different groups of the instruments. Overall, if you liked Solti's way with Resurrection Symphony (LSO, NOT CSO), you'll react to this recording positively. But I know there are folks and critics out there who dismissed this M3rd when it first came out, so I won't try to make too strong an argument here. Suffice it to say that I enjoyed it with a pleasant surprise and will come back again soon.

John,
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:40:59 AM by John Kim »

Offline John Kim

Re: Solti/LSO/Decca M3rd from the 60s
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 07:37:10 AM »
My mistake here, not ffff but "ffss – Full Frequency Stereophonic Sound".

James kindly corrected me.

Thanks ;).

John,

Offline david johnson

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
go ahead and make the argument.  this is a fine recording.   :)

dj

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 02:28:03 PM »
IMHO, all of Solti's Mahler with LSO and Concertgebouw (M4) and up to M8 with Chicago were fine - after that, it was all downhill.  I bought M2 with CSO when it came out and gave it away.

BTW, another Solti Mahler LSO recording that gets little or no mention anywhere nowadays is his M9.  I need to pull that out and give it a listen as John Kim did M3.

Wade

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 04:41:22 PM »
IMHO, all of Solti's Mahler with LSO and Concertgebouw (M4) and up to M8 with Chicago were fine - after that, it was all downhill.  I bought M2 with CSO when it came out and gave it away.

BTW, another Solti Mahler LSO recording that gets little or no mention anywhere nowadays is his M9.  I need to pull that out and give it a listen as John Kim did M3.

Wade
Quite right. Make no mistake, Solti's earlier M9th with LSO is another pinnacle he achieved with the orchestra. It is a magnificent Mahler Ninth indeed.

John,

Offline brunumb

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:34:41 AM »
My mistake here, not ffff but "ffss – Full Frequency Stereophonic Sound".

Actualy I think it was ffrr, full frequency range recording.
FFSS referred to the Decca Stereo ffss pickup head.

Offline waderice

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 03:15:02 PM »
Actualy I think it was ffrr, full frequency range recording.

Clarification:  The EARLY Decca/London stereo LP and reel tape releases DID utilize ffss on the label.  It was about the mid-sixties when they switched to ffrr.  I have several ffss LP and tape issues.

Wade

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »
I believe that this M3 is the only commercial Mahler recording of Solti's that I've yet to hear.  Decca released remasters of the M1, M2, and M9 in the last decade -- which I purchased -- but I don't remember seeing a remastered LSO M3.  I have never read anything positive about the LSO M3 recording until this thread.  The Chicago M3 is simply dreadful! 

I agree that the LSO M1 and M2 are top tier recordings, although I am bit bothered by the lack of low-end heft typical of recordings from that age. 
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 05:14:36 PM »
Scott,

The Solti/LSO M3 was indeed released on CD by Decca in the early 90s. I missed it when it came out although I had owned the LPs and a burned copy for quite some time. But two days ago, I got a used copy from ebay at $14.99 (somebody must be watching the board closely!)  :D ;).

Having revisited the recording after all these years, I think it is a pretty good M3rd, much better than the Chicago remake.

Give it a try!

John,

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »
Actually I think it was ffrr, full frequency range recording.

Clarification:  The EARLY Decca/London stereo LP and reel tape releases DID utilize ffss on the label.  It was about the mid-sixties when they switched to ffrr.  I have several ffss LP and tape issues.

Wade

When Decca began releasing stereo LPs in 1958, they switched their trademark from FFRR to FFSS on both Decca (UK) and London (USA) releases. About a decade later, stereo having become well established, they reverted to their original FFRR banner. To further complicate matters, the switch back to FFRR occurred earlier on London releases than on Decca releases, so that some later material—quite possibly including the Solti/LSO M3 from January, 1968—was released in England as FFSS but in the USA as FFRR.

James
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:59:37 PM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline brunumb

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 08:34:59 PM »
Thank you James.  It all makes sense now....I think  :)

As for Solti's M3, I too have yet to hear this recording.  I have the LSO versions of M1, M2 and M9 and like them very much.  The M2 has always been one of my favourites, with Harper and Watts just about the best out there as far as I am concerned.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 02:41:29 AM »
My two cents: The Solti/LSO M3 is OK at best, while the later Chicago one is among the worst Mahler recordings I've ever listened to.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 04:10:25 PM »
My two cents: The Solti/LSO M3 is OK at best, while the later Chicago one is among the worst Mahler recordings I've ever listened to.

Barry
Indeed. It's pretty bad; no insights, utterly one-dimensional, blasting brass, super fast 1st and 6th movts. Don't understand how it ended up getting some rave reviews.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 04:14:33 PM »

Barry
Indeed. It's pretty bad; no insights, utterly one-dimensional, blasting brass, super fast 1st and 6th movts. Don't understand how it ended up getting some rave reviews.

John,

I'm actually really curious to hear this now!  ;D

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk