Author Topic: timings for live 1987 Tennstedt M2  (Read 8077 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: timings for live 1987 Tennstedt M2
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 01:41:48 AM »
Hey, I got to do something to push my own tempi up   ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:17:39 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Matthew

Live 1989 Tennstedt M2
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 10:22:56 AM »
I won't get into the debate about timings, but all I can say is that this performance just blew me away on first hearing last night.

Admittedly, it's slow in parts (especially the meditative moments in the first movement, with every last drop of emotion wrung out in the Tennstedt style), but there's an incredible tension throughout the whole performance, and some passages are actually surprisingly fast. It really is ALIVE. I have to admit a little bias, as I actually attended this concert in 1989 at the tender age of 16  ;) I remember feeling stunned and awed after the concert, but that was before I'd heard many Mahler recordings and performances, so I'm viewing it a bit more objectively now, 21 years later, after a good number of Resurrections (most recently also with the LPO at the RFH, conducted by Jurowski -- now that was a lot faster!).

To sum up, I couldn't live without this performance. Among the high points are the wonderfully hushed entry of the choir, and the final pages are truly among the most exultant I've ever heard -- the LPO choir sings as if their lives depend on every note. Jard van Nes and Yvonne Kenny are also superb, especially in the final duet. The sound is good, even on my eMusic download, with plenty of low organ at the end and powerful gong smashes at the big moments. Now I can't wait to hear the CD (just ordered it from HMV ;D).

Offline Matthew

Re: timings for live 1987 Tennstedt M2
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 10:34:55 AM »
Details are here:

http://shop.lpo.org.uk/shop/Recordings/detail.asp?6292,0,0,0,0

Note that this was recorded in February 1989, not 1987.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk