Author Topic: Here's your chance to conduct 15 minutes of your favorite Mahler symphony!  (Read 6007 times)

Offline Russell

Up on eBay (!) is an auction to conduct 15 minutes of a Mahler symphony at this year's Colorado MahlerFest.  Minimum bid is $2500; "buy it now" is $10,000.  (Wish I could afford it.)  Hurry!  The auction ends on the 15th at 7:00 am PDT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Conduct-Live-Orchestra-Chorus-in-Mahlers-3rd-Symphony_W0QQitemZ170453085753QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_Other_Formats?hash=item27afcbae39

Here's the blurb:

Mahler fanatic?  Frustrated music critic?  Young conductor looking for a great video to have for job applications?  Searching for a once-in-a-lifetime gift for someone?  Here's your chance to fulfill a life's dream!!  How would you like to stand in front of a 100+ piece orchestra, 100+ voice choir, 50+ children's choir, and an outstanding soloist for 15 minutes conducting YOUR FAVORITE SECTION of one of Mahler's greatest works, chosen jointly with the music director?

This May 22 & 23, 2010, in Boulder, Colorado, the Colorado MahlerFest, internationally renown annual Mahler festival (winner of 2005 Mahler Gold Medal Award) will be presenting two performances of the Third Symphony.  At approximately 9:50 p.m. on May 21st, 2010, at the conclusion of the final dress rehearsal, the entire musical forces will be turned over to the winning bidder for 15 minutes.  The winning bidder will also receive two private lessons with maestro Robert Olson, Artistic Director of the Colorado MahlerFest during the week of May 17-22, a video of his/her conducting, two tickets to each performance, and "royal" treatment from the world-wide Mahler fans all week!

Boulder, Colorado is one of the most beautiful cities of the USA, nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.  The Festival itself includes chamber concerts, a symposium of national and international scholars, and the two orchestral concerts mentioned above.  Mahler fans come from around the country, often times for the entire week, attending every rehearsal with score in hand.  This will be your chance to conduct the piece the way YOU want it to sound!  MahlerFest is a 5013(c) organization and as such, your winning bid should be fully tax deductible.

For more information, go to our website:  mahlerfest.org 

Russell

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Great idea!  But I must ask...only 15 minutes?  :-\ :-X :P ;)

--Todd

Offline James Meckley

Great idea!  But I must ask...only 15 minutes?

--Todd

That's to prevent you from doing any serious damage.  ;D

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
I got a chuckle out of that, James.  :)

It would be cool to see someone from the board get it, or someone from the Mahler-List which I just subscribed to.  :)
Michael

Offline Russell

So here's a question: If you were to win this auction, which movement--or which 15 minutes--of which Mahler symphony would you conduct?  For me, it would probably the first movement of the 5th (well under 15 minutes, I know), the last part of the 8th (starting with "Blicket auf"), or the last part of the 2nd (starting with the quiet "Aufersteh'n..." chorus).  I'd be in 7th heaven.  ;D

Russell

Offline waderice

So here's a question: If you were to win this auction, which movement--or which 15 minutes--of which Mahler symphony would you conduct?  For me, it would probably the first movement of the 5th (well under 15 minutes, I know), the last part of the 8th (starting with "Blicket auf"), or the last part of the 2nd (starting with the quiet "Aufersteh'n..." chorus).  I'd be in 7th heaven.  ;D

Russell

The auction is restricted to conducting the Third.

The obvious part of the symphony you would be conducting is the second movement.  Not only does it run fifteen minutes or less (depending on the tempo the conductor takes), it has the fewest performance problems that could arise to confront an amateur conductor.  The movement is essentially an Austrian folk dance.

Wade
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:17:15 PM by waderice »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
As for me...I would want to tackle the first 15 minutes of the first movement of the M3 (it says in the announcement you can perform your favorite section)...not easy I'm sure, but how awesome to be in front of all that incredible sound.

--Todd

Offline Russell

The auction is restricted to conducting the Third.

Ahhh...I guess it pays to read the fine print!  ;D

I'd love to do the third movement of the M3.  Love that movement, particularly the (what I call) "sense of wonderment" passage just before the gallop to the end.  It's just a bit over 15 minutes, but I'd hope they'd cut me some slack.  :D

Russell

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
I would conduct the complete finale of the 3rd -- but do it in a Solti-esque manner so that I could complete it in 15 minutes.   :P
Scott

Offline Russell

I see that this received one bid (at the minimum $2500), which of course was the winning bid.  Congrats to whoever that person is!

Russell

Offline James Meckley

Jerry Bruck of Posthorn Recordings in NYC was the winner.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk