Author Topic: Manchester Mahler cycle on BBC  (Read 4401 times)

Offline stillivor

Manchester Mahler cycle on BBC
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
  Just heard the trailer for the broadcasts of the Mahler cycle currently being performed in Manchester.

The first broadcast, of No.1 [BBC Philharmonic under Noseda], will be next Tuesday 6th April.

That will, I assume, be available on-line at BBC iPlayer for 7 days after that.

If I get my finger out, unless it's sold out, hope to be at no.7.

Ivor

Offline stillivor

Re: Manchester Mahler cycle on BBC
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:45:06 AM »
Here's the link to the first in the cycle, M1 with BBC Philharmonic under Noseda.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rs5pp

Ivor

Offline stillivor

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:11:28 AM »
Here's a link to M2 under Stenz, on BBC Radio3 tonight.
Follow the links

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rwwdn

Ivor

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 09:01:35 PM »
Since I won't be able to listen on-line for a few days, could we get some opinions about these performances in general? Just a, "wow, that was great!", or "it was OK", will suffice for me.

Barry

Offline mister bob

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 07:36:32 PM »
I attended the performance of the 3rd. on February 13th.  [Stillivor and myself almost met up for this!].  It was good, but not amazing, and there was no 'wow factor'.  [Having attended the Rattle M3 in the 90's, I know what a 'wow factor' M3 sounds like.]  I left feeling satisfied rather than uplifted.  It was well played, with, in particular, some fine brass playing, but I would say that it lacked momentum and structure.  A great M3 will give you the feeling that you arrived somewhere at the climax,that Mahler has taken you by the hand on a wonderful journey, but this one simply ended correctly.  The mezzo, Karen Cargill, was impressive, but I need 'O Mensch!' to send a chill down the spine, and it didn't.  The choirs were crisp and confident, and clearly enjoyed singing after sitting still so dutifully for so long.  A pleasant rather than memorable evening.

The 'Like A Tragicomedy' by Friedrich Cerha which preceded it however really made me sit up and take notice.  Very powerful, spiky yet lyrical, a fascinating piece.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »
Thanks Mr. Bob. You might be pleased to know that EMI is going to use Rattle's M3 in their complete Mahler Edition box.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk