Author Topic: Mahler 8th -- Tonhalle-Orchester-Zinman  (Read 6007 times)

Offline Zoltan

Mahler 8th -- Tonhalle-Orchester-Zinman
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:33:34 PM »
The reason I pre-ordered Zinman's Mahler 8th is due to my experience with his M1, M5 and M6. I had the impression that they all follow the letter of the score very precisely, what I tend to call objective music making, almost to a fault. Here's one example from M5:

The underwhelmed brass chorale at the end of M5 is actually exactly what is in the score. The horns have fff, the trumpets and trombones only ff. One might say "so what?", but if we compare that to the climax of the second movement (it's even called as such in the score with "Höhepunkt") where all instruments should play fff, the thought, that it might be just a technicality, rather than Mahler's intent is an argument I don't follow in light of the precision of the composers instructions in his scores.
(I have to admit here, that I only have the public domain score of the first edition from IMSLP, so Mahler might've changed it, and since Zinman used the critical edition, all my reasoning might be wrong!).

I found the sonics excellent as well, with the caveat that I have the impression of standing on the podium with Zinman rather than sitting in the hall, which some listeners might find "too direct" into their face, and some balancing issues that come with this kind of sound engineering.

The seating of the orchestra is another important matter for me, thus I was very happy to hear, that Zinman divides the violin sections antiphonally. Interestingly, he places the celli not on the left next to the 1st violins (that is more usual), but places them on the right together with the 2nd V (the violas are thus together with the 1st V. on the right). The double basses are right behind the celli (visible on the photo in the booklet to M6 as well).

Combine this with high expectations that come with loving this symphony and there's a distinct probability of disappointment. No less due to Antoni Wit's recording on Naxos, which presents to me an objective view of the score with tempi, that never disappoint.

After a first listen-through, I can already tell, that I will gladly come back many times to this recording. Thus, this is not a review but more like short notes that I extended in parts.

(note, I listened through headphones and not through speakers)

For some listeners, the very first note of a performance of Mahler's 8th might say more than a whole minute of Doctor Marianus praising the Mater gloriosa, so I will say it here in no uncertain terms: the organ is an earthquake! Not only at the begin, but throughout the symphony! Only on the last page of the symphony does it get less noticeable, but only because the whole orchestra is trying to make a crack in the roof of the Tonhalle!

Each time I listen to a recording that has a great organ in the hall (Nagano and Wit come to my mind), it is obvious what a crucial part it plays in Part 1 and in the last two minutes of Part 2. Listening to this one it became obvious to me, that the organ pedal has the important function of being the foundation to the polyphony of Part 1 which usually belongs to the low instruments in the orchestra. Due to the mass of sound, the organ pedal is perfect for this role before having triple contrabasson/tuba and 16 double basses on the podium. From that it follows, that the organ is very essential part of a performance of this work.

Tempo I is held back a bit. Same goes to the relative tempi throughout Part 1. Maybe it was the late hour when I listened, but I would've liked a bit more motion.

The stereo separation of the choirs is quite apparent. Not sure if it would be natural to the Tonhalle and the placing of the choirs or if it was due to sound engineering, but it allows to hear even more details than usual.

The bells sound as if they were an octave higher than I'm accustomed to at the begin of the orchestral interlude.

Beginning with "Accende..." through the double fugue and the return of the "Veni"-theme at the recapitulation, I noticed how the orchestra is either held back (except the organ); at least more than usual. The lows and the very highs are apparent, but the instruments of the middle register (the ones that double the choir) are not discernible. Without the choir, the sound picture of the orchestra is at its usual detail. Double timpani quite loud at "Gloria Patri...".

Zinman takes the "Etwas drängend bis zum Schluss" very literally! After the last note I thought: "Wait, didn't I just miss something?!". I deliberately didn't go back for a re-listen to describe here my first listening, but the problem lied in the too sudden change of tempo and the very fast accelerando that Zinman employs.

Based on Part 1 I thought that Part 2 could end up being sluggish but Zinman actually takes what I could even describe as a "relatively brisk" tempo. Thanks to the divided violin sections there are some great moments of "dialog" between them (notably after the second loud outburst of the orchestra: it's a downward motive with triplets and und sixteenths).

Some of the quiet tremoli of the violins are sul ponticello even though the score doesn't indicate to play this way.

The troublesome "Löwen, sie schleichen an" where Mahler writes p for some of the voices and pppp for other is nothing like indicated (in words as well), nevertheless I always wonder how Mahler realized this in his performance almost 100 years ago.

Pater ecstaticus is very good! Pater profundus sings as if he were a bit tipsy. ;) D.M. first entrance is *not* held back as it is requested by Mahler. The tenor sounds a bit whiny (can't think of any less derogatory word, though it was not that appalling). Tempo is quite brisk at this point. The instrumental interlude afterwards is taken very slowly (just as the score indicates) but then Zinman, just before the entrace of the choir, doubles the tempo. It seemed quiet seemless to me, but of course, it surprised me. The boys choir was in stereo at this point (lower voices left, higher ones right), which was the first time I heard it this way; in Part 1 they were in central position.

M. gloriosa has a wonderful voice.

The tempo of the last two pages of the symphony are taken Pesante as indicated, and I guess, his motivation for ending Part I so suddenly (and thus, underwhelmingly) is having the wider picture in mind: Part 1 is not the very end of the work. Mahler scores the whole orchestra at that point with ff, in contrast to fff at the very last note of the work. I found it remarkable how carefully Mahler put the dynamics: there's only one explicit fff on the last page (beside the aforementioned very last note), which is for the horns (playing the inverted "Veni" motif with the trombones).

Tam-tam has a nice big "glowing" to the lower end. The timpani have the same hard-edge "whack" as at the end of Part 1.

And as it should be with every performance when I'm in the mood for this work, I had teary eyes during the last bars.

Overall, I found the performance interesting, surprising even, considering the opinion I had about Zinman's "objective" view on Mahler's music. I know haven't said much about the singers but I don't think I can give a qualified opinion about them at this point.

I'm anxious to here the work again where I might be able to give a more definite answer to the overall shape that Zinman tried to mold Mahler's 8th considering some unusual tempi and tempo relations (like the end of Part 1), as well as having perhaps a thought or two about the soloists.

Until then, I hope to hear from others listening to this performance as well!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:42:18 PM by Zoltan »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Mahler 8th -- Tonhalle-Orchester-Zinman
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:12:58 PM »
Thanks for the detailed report.  I have yet to order it, but your report certainly peaks my interest.  Your description of the beginning of the symphony makes it sound similar to Chailly. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:15:44 AM »
This peaks my interest. My prediction from the start was that Zinman would peg M3, M6, and M8. I think may have gotten that right. I love his M3; it's now my very favorite one. Just from what you describe, I think I'll like this M8 just fine also.

That said, I'm not crazy about A. Dean Griffey at all. But I'm glad to hear that the Mater Glorioso  is good.

As for the "orchestral interlude" in Part II (right after the first of the tenor's two big solos), it's marked "Adagissimo". But keep in mind that it's an Adagissimo in cut-time, not 4/4 (meaning: the half-note gets the beat). Tilson Thomas conducted it at a very slow tempi in 4/4 time. In other words, he was almost twice too slow. Zinman sounds pretty slow on the brief sample as well, but not to the same extreme as MTT. Close.

As for the ending to Part I, I'll be curious to hear just how audible the off-stage brass parts are, when Zinman too whips the tempo up so much. MTT did the same thing, but you can't hear the offstage trombones at such a fast tempo. These conductors should note that Mahler qualifies his "draengend bis zum schluss" marking with the word "etwas" (somewhat). They're also accelerating from Pesante. Therefore, it's my opinion that the end of Part I shouldn't get whipped up to a ridiculously fast tempo at the end. Since Mahler such a stickler for clarity, I'm sure that he would have wanted ALL of the moving notes in the offstage brass parts to cut through perfectly clear.

Anyway, thank you for your excellent notes. I sure want to hear this now. And yes, Mahler writes fortissimo for the pipe organ, along with with words "volles werke" (the complete works).

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:43:11 AM »
The good Mahler ferry - and I mean that in the best possible sense - delievered a burnt copy of Zinman's Mahler 8 just today. I think it's fan-freakin'-tastic. You'd have to hear for yourself, just what Zinman does in the final measure of the entire symphony to believe it. Trust me, it doesn't just suddenly stop. There's tons of organ; the big double fugue is terrific; the climax to the double fugue is excellent as well (the reprise of "Veni, Creator Spiritus"). Yes, Zinman does a big accellerando in the last bars of Part I. But unlike with MTT (and Rattle), you can hear the offstage brass parts quite clearly.

To be honest, I haven't listened all the way through Part II yet. Obviously, some of the soloists are better than others. But the ending is tremendous; the sound is amazingly good; and the conducting makes perfect sense to me ("interpretation" - I hate that word. I believe in "realizations").

Anyway, so far, this has far exceeded my expectations.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 05:10:46 AM »
Hey~~~ I can't wait :-[ :-\ :-\ ;D

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »
The good Mahler ferry...

Was it delivered by boat?   ;D
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:39:39 PM »
Close: U.S. Mail. I can't reveal my sources. Let's just say that I've got Mahlerian agents working out there all over the place. Seriously, I want to thank this person very much. I'm a very lucky fellow. I'm still going to buy a copy, just to support RCA's willingness to do the Zinman cycle. 

I had predicted that Zinman would do a great job with M3, M6, and M8. Looks like I got that prediction somewhat correct. Now, I did listen to the rest of Part II last night. I have to be honest and say that the casting isn't the best.

I don't think that any of us are crazy about A. Dean Griffey. He sounds rather affected during the tenor's first big solo. He does, however, handle his high notes w/o a lot of strain. He's also a good deal better during the "Blicket auf" passage - go figure. By the way, the climactic finish to the "blicket auf" section sounds amazing.

The women are a bit uneven too. Some are better than others, and I haven't quite sorted out who is doing what job, and where. I'll make a more detailed report when I figure all that out. Fortnately, Zinman does pick up the tempi through most of the three Penitent Women passage. It's not that they're bad singers, but I do think that they're captured just a tad too far forward. THE BIG soprano solo - the one right before Mater Gloriosa' offstage invitation to come stand in the light and get sucked-up into the giant mother ship above - well, that solo is amazing. Whoever it is, she just belts it out there like she's Brunnhilde on a mission from Valhalla.

The childrens chorus is consistently captured well; even at the spot before the big ending to Part I. But they also sound a tad small in numbers. They als sound a tiny bit reticent at times too. As I recall, the Rattle recording has about the biggest and best sounding childrens chorus. I do wish that they would use hundreds and hundreds of children - just like at the world premiere in Munich in 1910 (1911?).

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:48:06 PM »
So, Barry, what's your final verdict? Performance and Sound?

What I care most in M8th are the conducting and the big organ sound.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »
So, it sounds like it doesn't reach the hieghts of say, Witt or even Gergiev? But better tempo choices than Rattle (who has better singers than Zinman)?

Thanks for the report Barry, and you too Zoltan.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
Oh no, I'm still giving this two big thumbs up. I would probably take it over any of those; maybe - I'd have to do A/B comparisons. It is a bit like the Wit, but the sound is far better. Gergiev has the better cast, if also a bit more generic sounding in quality. But I like Zinman's ending to Part II even better. Organ: A+. Conducting: A or A-.  

It's difficult to sum up. For one thing, the piece itself is so all-encompassing. It's as though all of western music, up to the year 1910, gets encapsulated and summarized in the Mahler 8th. As far as I'm concerned, the only real weakness is the cast of soloists. But it's not like they get in the way of the performance either. It's just that for anyone who IS sensitive about casting, this probably isn't going to be their first pick.

Let me put it this way: this Zinman M8 is probably my overall first pick now. But it's not sooooo great that it makes me want to toss out - among recent entries -  Wit, Bertini, Chailly, Rattle, Boulez, Gergiev, Schwarz, and one or two others that aren't coming to mind just now. Then again, I really like the piece a whole heck of a lot.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:59:06 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk