Author Topic: Maureen Forrester R.I.P.  (Read 5464 times)

Offline GL

Maureen Forrester R.I.P.
« on: June 23, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
Maureen Forrester, one of the greatest among Mahlerian contraltos has died:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jun/22/maureen-forrester-obituary

Among her Mahler recordings, Das Lied von der Erde (Chicago Symphony, Reiner, RCA) must be part of every serious collection.

Die liebe Erde Allueberall blueht auf im Lenz
und gruent aufs neu! Alluberall und ewig
blauen licht die Fernen! Ewig... ewig...

Adieu Maureen.

Luca

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Maureen Forrester R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »
She's very solid on Haitink's very first Concertgebouw M3 too (1966).

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »
The Mehta/LA Phil M3 is one of the finest recordings of the work. If I remember correctly, the recording is graced with the marvelous voice of this great artist.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »
The Mehta/LA Phil M3 is one of the finest recordings of the work. If I remember correctly, the recording is graced with the marvelous voice of this great artist.

Yes, but I think this recording is available only with the NYPO Mahler Broadcasts set.

If you wish to hear a younger Maureen—and in even better voice, I believe—go to the Bruno Walter recording of 1958, also with the NYPO, issued by SONY (64447).

. & '

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:53:49 PM »

Yes, but I think this recording is available only with the NYPO Mahler Broadcasts set.

The Mahler 3 performance in the NYPO's The Mahler Broadcasts 1948–1982 was conducted by Pierre Boulez, featured Yvonne Minton, and, of course, didn't involve the LA Philharmonic. ;D

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:22:24 PM »
Found this on the Amazon site:

http://www.amazon.com/Symphonies-1-3-Mahler/dp/B00000423D/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1277421326&sr=1-2

I discovered I own a CD transfer from a London LP...pretty stunning audio.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:56:53 PM »
"pretty stunning audio"

It's one of those classic Royce Hall (U.C.L.A.) recordings. I think that the best Mahler 3 from Mehta - in terms of his conducting of it, that is - is the Israel Phil. one that he made on Sony in the early 1990s. However, the sound isn't anywhere as good (Mann Auditorium in Tel Aviv), and neither is Florence Quivar. Mehta's latest Mahler 3 - the one on Faroe - has even better sound than the London/Decca one, but it's not nearly as good from a purely musical standpoint. Therefore, the L.A. Phil. one remains the best compromise of the three. That I.P.O. Mahler 1 is nothing special though.

Offline brunumb

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 05:31:13 AM »
Listen to Maureen Forrester singing "Urlicht" with an orchestra conducted by Glenn Gould :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPKiuFmY4M 

Wonderful.

Offline waderice

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 11:07:14 PM »
Listen to Maureen Forrester singing "Urlicht" with an orchestra conducted by Glenn Gould :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWPKiuFmY4M 

Wonderful.

She puts as much emotion in this as when I heard/saw her sing the closing pages of DLvdE with Dorati and the Washington National Symphony in the '70's.  A performance that brought me to tears, and this very seldom happens to me.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk