Author Topic: Mahler at the BBC Proms 2010  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Gerbish

Mahler at the BBC Proms 2010
« on: April 22, 2010, 12:25:33 PM »
bvelow is a list of the works by Mahler being performed at this year's BBC Prom Concert series.
I hope that the links work, but their home page is

www.bbc.co.uk/proms

All concerts are broadcast live, and available to 'Listen Again' for 7 days, either through the Proms link above or bbc.co.uk/radio3

Des Knaben Wunderhorn – selection – Prom 18
Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen – Prom 62
Rückert-Lieder – Prom 48
Symphony No.1 in D major – Prom 65
Symphony No.3 in D minor – Prom 24
Symphony No.4 in G major – Prom 26
Symphony No.5 in C sharp minor – Prom 26
Symphony No.7 – Prom 34
Symphony No.8 in E flat major, ‘Symphony of a Thousand’ – Prom 1

(It doesn't look as if the web links have come across...  But you can access the concert details by pasting the main address.
Gerald.

Offline Matthew

Re: Mahler at the BBC Proms 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »
Interesting -- I wonder if they're planning a 2-year symphony cycle covering the 2010/2011 anniversaries, as the 2nd, 6th, DLVDE, 9th and 10th are not present this year.

It's nice to see M8 being performed on the First Night (conducted by Jiří Bělohlávek), as the Albert Hall is the perfect venue. I hope it heralds a return to the days of the "choral blockbusters" on the First Night, something I think a lot of people have missed in recent years.

Other highlights are M1 with Rattle and the Berliners and -- wait for it -- M4 and M5 in the *same* concert with the World Orchestra for Peace conducetd by Gergiev (I'm not familiar with the soloist for M4, Camilla Tilling). I think I'd have preferred to hear M3 and M4 in the same concert  ;) ;D

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:32:57 AM »
C. Tilling is on the Benjamin Zander/Telarc Mahler 4. I don't think she's as great as Zander builds up to be on the bonus lecture/demo. disc. She's similar to Miah Persson (Fischer/Channel Classics), but not quite as good in my book.

Offline Gerbish

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »
Matthew-
In 2006, one Prom had to be cancelled - due to a fridge catching fire backstage!
It was supposed to be an American orchestra playing Beethoven's Ninth.
So there wasn't a "Choral" that year.
To make up for it, Belohlavek and the BBC SO included it on the First Night programme in 2007.
With  a 'Choral' in its normal position somewhere in the middle of the 10 week festival, (M. Jansons & the Bavarian Rad SO on 30 Aug) there were two performances that year.
it's the only instance I know of where a major work has been given twice in the same season (although some short works are repeated - as in this year's Dr Who theme Prom)
(In 1942, Timber gave the 'Western' Premiere of Shostakovich's Symphony No 7, the Leningrad, as a normal live concert and found it so impressive that he rescheduled a Prom about 10 days later to include it - but they weren't both Proms.)

Gerald.

Offline techniquest

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »
Gerbish - the finale of Beethoven's 9th was played at the 2001 Last Night, and (IIRC) it was also performed in it's usual 'whole symphony' scheduled slot. Does that count? Sorry this bit is off-topic.
Can't wait for the M8 on the opening night, I think it was last at the Proms when Rattle / NYOGB performed it in 2002.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk