Author Topic: Forthcoming & new releases  (Read 25326 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Forthcoming & new releases
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 02:11:44 AM »
ouuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh!!! - an M7 with Jarvi and the Residente Orchetra from The Hague (Det Haag). That MIGHT be really, really hot!

Barry

Offline GL

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »
Tilson Thomas/Hampson (+Graham) strike again:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3854978

Carzy tempos for Jarvi's VII:

I-   20:40
II-  12:53 (World record! He has beaten Scherchen for 2 seconds!!!)
III- 9:10
IV- 9:54 (World record!!!)
V- 17:09

I'm very curoious. I have found a cheap SACD here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symphony-Residentie-Orchestra-Hague/dp/B003OEFUH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1277198310&sr=8-1

Even if Jarvi won two battles, nevertheless, as far as I remember at this moment, Scherchen won the war: the fastet VII remains his one with the Toronto Symphony O. (recorded live in 1965; his tempos: I-18:36 (world record); II-12:55; III-8:20 (world record, I think); IV-13:03; V-16:42).

Scherchen succeeded in doing the first movement of the VI in 14:03 and Andante moderato (placed second) in 12:34 (Leipzig Radio O.-recorded live in 1961; no ritornello in the first, obviously; other movement with cuts). On the other hand, Scherchen holds the world record for slowness for the Adagietto (15:12 with the Philadelphia O.-recorded live in 1964; third and fifth movements with cuts).

Regards,
Luca

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 06:56:59 PM »
Tilson Thomas/Hampson (+Graham) strike again:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3854978

YES!!!!

Carzy tempos for Jarvi's VII:

I-   20:40
II-  12:53 (World record! He has beaten Scherchen for 2 seconds!!!)
III- 9:10
IV- 9:54 (World record!!!)
V- 17:09

PERFECT.

Offline GL

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 01:03:35 PM »
Well, about this fast Seventh by Jarvi there are two possibilities:
1) It will be fast AND exciting.
2) It will be fast-PERIOD.

We cheer for the first hypothesis, of course ...

Regards,
Luca

Offline GL

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 12:33:58 PM »
A lovely review of Jarvi's VII has just appeared:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jun/24/mahler-symphony-7-jarvi

L.

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 12:48:59 PM »
A 15-minute Adagietto?  I wanna hear that!  :D

On a side note, I remember someone mentioning they would post the 1986 Berlin Philharmonic/Rattle M6 on Rapidshare...?
Michael

Offline GL

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »
The fact that a British critic gave the N. Jarvi M7 a bad review makes me REALLY want to hear it. They might be right, but I want to judge for myself. Besides, it's cheap enough.

Unlike his Toronto M7, the playing on Scherchen's Philly M5 is amazing! More astonishing than the 15 minute Adagietto, is the ultra-fast second movement.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 04:09:05 AM »
The fact that a British critic gave the N. Jarvi M7 a bad review makes me REALLY want to hear it. They might be right, but I want to judge for myself. Besides, it's cheap enough.

Unlike his Toronto M7, the playing on Scherchen's Philly M5 is amazing! More astonishing than the 15 minute Adagietto, is the ultra-fast second movement.

Same here.  It's not quite as frustrating as in the 80's/early 90's when ever Rattle recording got a positive review on that side of the Atlantic, but let's just say I've been burnt a few times. 

Offline GL

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »

I had similar experiences with English critics. Moreover, this one writes that Jarvi's Mahler has been never remarkable. Well, I find what he recorded with his former Scottish orchestra remarkable (Third and Sixth, in particular).

Not even a great conductor like Ancerl (M5, live 1969, Tahra) succeeded in getting something amazing by the Toronto Orchestra. I agree on the playing of Scherchen's Philly (really scorching!) and I regret very much the cuts. I think that the transformation of the adagietto in a weighty adagio (an Adagione?) is due to the needing to restore the proportions lost by cutting the Scherzo (heavily) and the Rondo finale (less heavily). What a pity!

Regards,
Luca

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 10:13:59 PM »
A lovely review of Jarvi's VII has just appeared:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jun/24/mahler-symphony-7-jarvi

L.

I have my doubts about any reviewer that states "...but nevertheless the CD catalogue contains some outstanding solutions to these challenges. Those versions, conducted by Abbado, Chailly and, most recently and very differently, by David Zinman, make a case for the work as one of Mahler's most radical and forward-looking scores."

While I am a big fan of Abbado's M7, I would certainly not list Chailly or Zinman among the MANY truly outstanding M7's in the catalog.  OTOH, I like when a reviewer lists their favorite performances, since it helps me gauge whether we share similar tastes in Mahler. 

Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 11:21:14 PM »

While I am a big fan of Abbado's M7, I would certainly not list Chailly or Zinman among the MANY truly outstanding M7's in the catalog.  

I would list Zinman's M7 as outstanding. 

--Todd

Offline GL

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 09:13:52 AM »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 08:05:37 AM »
Wow! - I'm getting this. I just listened to all 14 excerpts, and they all sound great. Michael Volle is terrific! Like Bernstein, the songs that have dialog or exchanges between a male and a female, use both singers (Szell too? - can't remember). I think "DKW" is hugely underestimated, and should be a prerequisite - at gunpoint, if necessary - for ANY conductor who's going to embark on a complete Mahler cycle.

I would urge everybody here to listen through these excerpts. I can't wait to hear the rest of "Revelge" (track 12).

Offline GL

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 08:14:27 AM »
An interesting book:

Knud Martner "Mahler's Concerts"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahlers-Concert-Knud-Martner/dp/0715639765/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278490281&sr=8-1

From Amazon's product description:

"Today regarded as one of the most important composers, during his lifetime Gustav Mahler was best known as one of the world's most acclaimed conductors. "Mahler's Concerts" provides the first complete history of Mahler on the podium with detailed information including the works performed, soloists and concert halls for each of the more than 300 concerts he conducted with leading orchestras including the New York Philharmonic, for which he served as Music Director for the last few years of his life. In addition to a chronological listing of each concert, various indexes provide the ability to track down concerts by composer or soloist. In addition, there are fascinating tables that rank which composers and works were Mahler's favourites. There are also introductions which describe Mahler's life and musical activities for each chapter. A special feature of the book is the more than 250 reproductions of rare programs, playbills and advertisements covering the concerts Mahler conducted."

L.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk