Author Topic: Mahler 7  (Read 17682 times)

Offline mahler09

Re: Mahler 7
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »
From what I've read the Zinman seems to be a direct contrast to what I've heard.  Another CD to look into!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 10:14:55 AM »
Todd, I think you've made a very good description of the Zinman Mahler 7. I would say that his is a lot like Haitink, before Haitink became slower and duller. In a sense, that makes his rather similar to Edo De Waart's under-rated M7. I don't think that I would say that the Zinman is my very favorite M7, but it's not one that I would boot out of my collection either. It's a keeper. 

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 05:28:32 AM »
I'm late to this M7 party, but count me in as a HUGE FANATIC of this piece!!!! During my Mahler "dating" period, I did M5, M6, and M7 in that order, and by the time I got to M7, I knew I was a lifetime memberr. It snowballed from there.

To my ears, his orchestration in M7 is hard to beat - and I think his only other symph that gives it a run for its money in its architectural craftsmanship is M9, but that is me. The first movement just kills me - it is just pure genius. Listen to the harmonic structure ONLY sometime - it will blow you away. And we ain't even talking about the counterpoint, melodies, themes, structure, etc , etc yet.

I own a bunch of M7's and I like all of them for different reasons but nobody has mentioned Boulez yet. It is not a perfect recording overall, but I have yet to find any conductor NAIL the middle section of mvt. I where the harps do a glissando that melts into trilling flutes. THat part always reminds me of some fairy tale castle (yes sounds corny) but makes me feel like a kid again. Boulez in his relentless perfectionism just owns small details such as this part - most conductors just gloss over this detail. I'm sure Mahler would smile if he heard that Boulez recording because the stuff printed on the page comes off.

The next one is the one I still struggle with (M8).

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 05:39:50 AM »
PS - a search of "Mahler 7 Bernstein" at youtube will turn up a pro shot recording of Lenny conducting M7 with the Wiener Phil.

I'm on the 2nd mvmt now and digging it!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:42:41 AM by chalkpie »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 05:44:46 AM »
I haven't heard the Zinman version yet.  How do you think it compares to Bernstein or Chailly?

I haven't heard the Chailly...but in comparing Zinman to Bernstein I have to say Lenny's is hard to beat in terms of drama, color and forward motion.  ON the other hand, Zinman provides a cooler look into this score not heard in Lenny's account.  By "cooler" I mean Zinman plays the M7 straight (but not boring). Because of this the spooky parts and romantic parts suddenly jump out you, surprising you and providing contrast with the straightforward tempos that serve to highlight the details of the score and harmonic progression. AND the sonics are among the most impressive for M7 on SACD.  I'm glad to have these two different approaches on hand.

--Todd
My initial reaction to Zinman's M7th wasn't all that hot. But on repeated hearings this recording grows on me. Overall, I think it is as successful as his M6th recording, if not better. You just need to turn the volume way up to appreciate it fully. Yes, the sonics are among the best I've ever heard.

Can't wait for Zinman's M9th! :D ;D

John,

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 11:57:13 AM »
I have just listened to M7 by Rattle , the recording in the  EMI anniversary boxset, and i MUST proclaim here my enthusiasm about the Rondo-Finale ! it' simply fantastic of cleverness, impertinence,humour, imagination, really exciting from A to Z. I don't like all the movements as much.2 and 3 are very good too.
Nobody in this topic about M7 quoted the Solti CSO recording,which is for the time my favourite.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk