Author Topic: Bruckner 7  (Read 9704 times)

Offline BeethovensQuill

Bruckner 7
« on: June 05, 2010, 09:25:16 PM »
I just wanted to switch away from mahler for a brief moment and ask everyone what recordings they like of the Bruckner 7th.

I only have 2 recordings that being the Karajan with the Vienna Phil and the Jarvi with the Frankfurt RSO.  Im really starting to enjoy the Jarvi after a few listens, and when i started to listen to Karajan's last night i was thinking id rather put on the Jarvi instead.

I did have 2 previous recordings the 1st one i had was a Chailly recording with the Berlin RSO, being the 1st time id heard the symphony i never really warmed to it, then i got Tintner's on naxos which i did enjoy but i never thought it would be a recording id stick with.

For me it was a difficult symphony to get into, and in fact Bruckner i found very difficult to get into, i think it took about 2 or 3 years haha, and only in the last year have i really started to very much enjoy Bruckner get much more out of his music.  The 8th being my favourite then the 9th but getting sidetracked back to the 7th.

I have noticed a few new recordings that have came out such as Jansons and Haitink, would be interesting to hear what people think of any of the recordings i mention or ones that they love above others.

Offline Nathaniel

Re: Bruckner 7
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »

My own preferences:

Wand (BPO), Asahina, Knappertsbusch (VPO Salzburg August 8, 1949), Furtwaengler (BPO October 18, 1949), Sanderling  (SWR), Bohem (BR April 5, 1977). Not in any order, but all (and the Karajan you mentioned) are more than worth hearing, because the amazing thing, each one has a completely different story to tell.

There are some very interesting new ones too.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
I think that Dave Hurwitz gave the Jansons B7 a pretty favorable review. I haven't heard the Haitink B7 in decades, but was never that impressed. I always liked Jochum in the 7th, particularly his Dresden one. The one on Naxos is pretty good too. The 7th is my favorite FINISHED Bruckner symphony.

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 02:04:16 AM »
I just wanted to switch away from mahler for a brief moment and ask everyone what recordings they like of the Bruckner 7th.

I have noticed a few new recordings that have came out such as Jansons and Haitink, would be interesting to hear what people think of any of the recordings i mention or ones that they love above others.

My small Bruckner collection has just two B7s: the Haitink/CSO and Blomstedt/Staatskapelle Dreseden recordings.  The Tintner and Böhm/VPO didn't work for me.  The Jarvi/FRSO and Wand/BPO are intriguing, too.
Russ Smiley

Offline mahler09

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 02:32:26 PM »
That's so funny that this was mentioned because I have just been studying the score the Bruckner 7 over the last few days!  Of course, Bruckner is not Mahler but there are things that he does which I like and some of his symphonies which are better than others.  I haven't branched out too far with recordings but have the Eugen Jochum & Staatskapelle Dresden box set. 

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »

My small Bruckner collection has just two B7s: the Haitink/CSO and Blomstedt/Staatskapelle Dreseden recordings.  The Tintner and Böhm/VPO didn't work for me.  The Jarvi/FRSO and Wand/BPO are intriguing, too.
I am a strong advocate of the Bohm/VPO/DG. This one is the greatest B7th for me. The Vienna strings in the Adagio is the most gorgeous and full of Brucknerian glows and solemn spirits. Bohm's rigorous approach and restrains may turn off some but for me it just sounds dead perfect in Bruckner's music.

John,

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »
Regarding the Böhm/VPO B7, it was the shrill sound of the trumpets that put me off.  On the other hand, the Böhm/VPO B4 remains my standard (even with the horn 'fluffs').
Russ Smiley

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:58:22 AM »
Regarding the Böhm/VPO B7, it was the shrill sound of the trumpets that put me off.
I don't quite follow ??? :-\.

Where is exactly such a spot on the recording??

John,

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 05:28:34 AM »
Regarding the Böhm/VPO B7, it was the shrill sound of the trumpets that put me off.
I don't quite follow ??? :-\.

Where is exactly such a spot on the recording??

John,

Oh, John, I wish I could cite you exact locations, but I can't do so because I've sold the recording: I believe a fellow in Boston owns it now.  Maybe I should withhold my opinion if I can't defend it?  However, as a brass player and an otherwise admirer of Karl Böhm's work, this DG recording of B7 was off-putting for me.
Russ Smiley

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 05:38:10 AM »
Russ,

My theory of Bruckner is that, any conductor who conducts Mozart well should be conducting Bruckner well too. You know, there are lots of common wisdom you can apply to both composers and come up with a great success (no wonder whenever I listen to Bruckner I ams also eager to listen to Mozart). And the fact is that Bohm was a great Mozart conductor; well balanced texture & structure, a solemn but rigorous conductorial approach, and relaxed, take-it-easy kind of attitude in the conducting. All of these traits you can find in Bohm. He is unbelievably unhurried, patient, and above all is well ware of where the true climaxes are and how all the minor details can be accumulated to make the great Brucknerian effects. I LOVE all of his commercial recordings of Bruckner B3rd, 4th, 7th, and 8th in these regards.

John,

Offline chris

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 03:05:44 PM »
I haven't listened to it yet, but the Minnesota Orchestra just released a free download of a concert performance with Vanska conducting:

http://www.minnesotaorchestra.org/musicondemand/

Offline waderice

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 08:07:25 PM »
One thing everyone's neglected to mention thus far in this thread is the conundrum of the versions (Haas vs. Nowak).  I went into a discourse on this problem in a thread somewhere here a long time ago, but ANY discussion as to which recording of ANY Bruckner symphony is preferred needs to be confined to which particular version.  Ideally, all Bruckner listeners need to do extended listening as to which recording(s) they prefer in BOTH versions.  Conductors with a significant track record in Bruckner symphony performance have chosen either Haas' or Nowak's version of the symphonies, as well as in recordings.  Off the top of my head, here is a listing of conductors whose version they prefer:

Jochum - Nowak
Haitink - Haas
Barenboim - Haas
Klemperer - Haas (I think)
Furtwangler - Haas (I think)
Böhm - Haas
Karajan - Haas

No other recordings of the symphonies in the Nowak version come to mind other than the DG and EMI/Electrola recordings by Jochum.  Are there others?

Wade
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:39:23 PM by waderice »

Offline GL

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 08:40:17 PM »
At least in his 1951 tour with BPO, as far as I know, Furtwaengler used the 1884-85 Gutmann Edition, the same used by Volkmar Andreae in his Vienna cycle.

Lovers of Brukner's Seventh should hear also Matacic/Czech Philharmonic Orchestra on Supraphon.

Luca

Offline waderice

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
At least in his 1951 tour with BPO, as far as I know, Furtwaengler used the 1884-85 Gutmann Edition, the same used by Volkmar Andreae in his Vienna cycle.

Lovers of Brukner's Seventh should hear also Matacic/Czech Philharmonic Orchestra on Supraphon.

Luca

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about.  Haas' edition containing revisions to Bruckner's symphonies appeared in the 1930's and Nowak's in the 1950's.  Take a look at my second post with the inserted link at the below link:

http://gustavmahlerboard.com/forum/index.php?topic=1056.0

Any discussion of preferences in Bruckner symphony recordings needs to be predicated first on edition (Haas or Nowak) and then on the individual performance itself.  It is possible to have a favorite Bruckner 7th in the Haas edition and another in the Nowak.  Once you have heard complete symphony cycles in both versions can you then make a decision as to which version you prefer, or conversely, if you prefer the Haas or Nowak version of an individual symphony.

Wade
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:35:22 PM by waderice »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 11:58:52 PM »
To me, in B7, the issue of Haas vs. Nowak is not such a big deal. In B8, yes, definitely so. But in B7, the biggest, most immediately noticeable issue is cymbal crash vs. no cymbal crash (at the climax of the Adagio). I'd rather hear a great performance sans cymbal crash, than a crumby of so-so one that includes it. Beyond that, I just don't see Haas vs. Nowak being a major issue.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk