Author Topic: Schumann/Mahler from Chailly  (Read 4107 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Schumann/Mahler from Chailly
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:21:38 AM »
I share Hurwitz's enthusiasm for the Chailly/Gewandhaus recording (Decca) that just came out on Schumann symphonies 2 and 4, recorded with Mahler's "retuschen". Without actually comparing scores, it's difficult to know just how much ought to be credited to Mahler adjusting the dynamics (as well as voicings and doublings), and how much has to be credited to the highly enthusiastic response on the part of the Gewandhaus players. The timpani parts seem more prominant than usual. If Mahler adjusted these parts, I applaud his achievement. The timpani writing sounds right on the money - not too much, but too little either. I also detect trombones added in a couple of spots. Their useage is somewhat conspicuous, and the whole thing - both symphonies - sort of take on the scale and weight of the Schubert 9th symphony. In summary, I would say that this recording of Mahler's retuschen gives us THE BEST window to gaze upon his sound world, outside of just listening to Mahler's own works. It's very clear that he had high regard and genuine love for the Schumann symphonies. I highly recommend this disc.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk