Author Topic: Casella Symphony #2  (Read 10821 times)

Offline ggl

Casella Symphony #2
« on: June 27, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »
Mahler was a great composer, but there are only nine (or ten or eleven, depending on how you count) Mahler symphonies.  It would be nice if there were more, but there aren't.  So when I saw online reviews of Alfredo Casella's Second Symphony, I was motivated to purchase it. 

See http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_cd_review.php?id=8292

and

http://www.classicalmusicsentinel.com/KEEP/keep-casella-sym2.html

The second reviewer points out that Casella's "real passion was for the music of Gustav Mahler. Upon their meeting in 1909, Casella informed Mahler that he knew all his symphonies 'by heart'."

I am not a musician, and have no expertise that would qualify me to review the recording.  But I will say that, though Casella's Second Symphony is not, as evidenced by this recording, on the level of Mahler's symphonies, it's really pretty good.  Casella clearly was directly inspired by Mahler's symphonies; he uses gestures that are familiar from Mahler. (And this is not necessarily a bad thing -- consider how Mahler appropriated musical ideas from Hans Rott.)  Casella was, like Mahler, a superb orchestrator.  The CD is well-recorded, though the complex orchestration (including bells and organ) likely would be better served by SACD.  The thematic materials do not sound like Mahler; Casella has his own voice.  In some ways this symphony reminds me of Shostakovich, but I find it more enjoyable than the Shostakovich symphonies I know.  (I tend to agree with Boulez's view that Shostakovich is like "third-pressing Mahler.")

I've culled from my collection works by other symphonists who might be considered comparable; Hausegger, and all but one of Weingartner's symphonies.  But I'll keep the Casella.  (The other work on the disc, Scarlattiana, is a neoclassical work for piano and orchestra that strikes me as expert, enjoyable and forgettable.  When I want to hear neoclassicism, which isn't every day, I'll stick with Stravisinsky, Roussel and Martin.)

I'm curious to know how the more devout among you react to Casella's Second.

Offline GL

Re: Casella Symphony #2
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »
Describing the spell under which Casella composed his Symphines 1 and 2, italian critic Quirino Principe spoken of them as "Puro Mahler" (pure Mahler). I have just ordered both of them because I'm very curious.

One reviewer claims that Noseda's is the only recording available. It's not true:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Alfredo-Casella-Symphonie-Nr-2-op-12/hnum/9999701

(but I think that Noseda's is the best)

For another point of view:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=12835

Casella masterpiece is his Third Symphony (Sinfonia per orchestra op.63: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Alfredo-Casella-Symphonie-op-63/hnum/7411161). It's a shame it is not regularly performed around the world.

He who is interested in great, genuine symphonists of the first half of 1900, should check Josef Suk (in particular: Fairy Tale, Praga, Asrael, Summer tale, Ripening, Epilog). There are splendid performance recorded by the Czech Philharmonic under great conductors such as Mackerras, Talich, Neumann, Pesek.

Regards,
Luca

Offline mahler09

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 02:02:36 AM »
Suk was the son-in-law of Dvorak, if I'm not mistaken?

Offline GL

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 07:06:04 AM »
Suk was the son-in-law of Dvorak, if I'm not mistaken?

You are not mistaken. He married Dvorak's daughter Otylka. She died an year after her father. The magnificent symphony "Asrael" is dedicated to the memory of both.

Luca

Offline Don

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
I admire Casella's works but I just do not see the works as all that Mahlerian. Yes there are some gestures similar to Mahler but I think his orchestration, while colorful, does not hold a candle to Mahler. It is more dense and less graceful than Mahler's. I do enjoy his symphonies, more so the wonderful and less Mahler influenced 3rd which should be heard more often.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline GL

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »
Sorry, among the less known, great symphonists of the first half of the 1900 I forgot mentioning Kurt Atterberg. His nine Symphonies are really worth investigating (and superior to the ones of Weingarthner), especially in this edition:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Kurt-Atterberg-Symphonien-Nr-1-9/hnum/2793016

My favorites are the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth and Eighth (this last much admired by Sibelius).

For the ones interested in studing scores of not very popular composers (or of less known works of great composers), I found this publisher:

http://www.musikmph.de/musical_scores/information/information_e.html

L.

Offline GL

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
Now I'm really curious:

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=12869

...and I have not yet received the package with my copy!!! >:(

L.

Offline techniquest

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 07:02:06 AM »
If you want to hear a symphony that definitely does have a Mahler 'sound' (other than Mahler of course), then try to get hold of the Symphony No.1 "Pan" by Willem Pijper. It was written in 1917 and there can be absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Pijper had heard Mahler - particularly his 1st symphony!

Offline GL

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 01:01:13 PM »
If you want to hear a symphony that definitely does have a Mahler 'sound' (other than Mahler of course), then try to get hold of the Symphony No.1 "Pan" by Willem Pijper. It was written in 1917 and there can be absolutely no doubt whatsoever that Pijper had heard Mahler - particularly his 1st symphony!

Thanks for the interesting suggestion. In fact, it has been written that the Pan Symphony is influenced by Mahler's First and Third. It has been recorded only once by an orchestra of Rotterdam, but it has been never released on CD. It s currently unavailable even in the original LP version. I'll keep an eye on this dutch guy.

L.

Offline ggl

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 12:51:02 AM »
There are now two CD recordings of Casella's Symphony #2.  Naxos is releasing a series of Casella recordings.  Here are sound samples:

http://www.amazon.com/Casella-Symphony-No-notte-alta/dp/B003TX12HA/ref=mb_oe_o

Offline GL

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 12:57:30 PM »
Finally I got my copies of the First (http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=12874) and of the Second. Very exciting, youthful, bold music, especially the Second! In particular, I liked the Scherzo and the Finale-wow, this is Spaghetti-Mahler!!! Warmly recommended!

L.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:59:49 PM by GL »

Offline ggl

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 04:54:08 PM »
I have now lived with Casella's Second Symphony for a few months, and I'm prompted to put in another plug for this masterful work.  I'm convinced that all serious Mahler-lovers should give this work a chance, and that many of them will find it as enjoyable and worthwhile as I do.

There are two recorded CD versions, both released in 2010 -- the Noseda/BBC Philharmonic/Chandos, and the La Vecchia/Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma/Naxos.  The Noseda is distinguished by very good-to-excellent sound -- atmospheric, plenty of space around the notes, and perhaps as a result the musicians in the complexly-orchestrated work produced more attractive, rounder sounds.

I bought the Noseda first, and was delighted with it.  But the low Naxos price made it impossible to resist the La Vecchia . . . and I now find I prefer it.  Although the recorded sound isn't as good as the Noseda, it's completely adequate, even for a work that has a lot going on most of the time.  Perhaps the best way that I, a non-musician, can convey the difference is by noting that the Noseda/Chandos reading takes 49:20, while the La Vecchia/Naxos winds up at 55:43.  I have a mild general preference for faster readings of the Mahler symphonies that the Casella Second most resembles, in a general sense -- those would be M2, M1 and M5 -- but in the case of these recordings of the Casella Second, slower seems better.  La Vecchia never seems too slow -- and in a few places, he seems too fast -- but the impression I have is that he and his orchestra just dig into this music more.  Expressively, they get more out of it.  For example, as I type this, I'm listening to La Vecchia's rendition of the march theme of the fourth movement -- and he makes it convey a very apt grotesquerie.  By contrast, the same passage in the Noseda sounds almost jaunty . . . which doesn't work quite as well.

I also recommend the La Vecchia/Naxos recording of the Casella First.  This sounds very Russian -- Casella was a chameleon -- reminiscent of Rachmaninoff or Rimsky, strong on melody and color, and also, in my view, deserving of a place in the repertory.

And, while I'm here, I might as well mention my other terrific recent discovery of recorded music -- the new CD recording of Philip Glass's opera, Orphee.  This opera is based on Jean Cocteau's great B&W film from the late Forties, Orpheus.  The film itself is hypnotic, like a living dream . . . in my view, one of the greatest films.  Glass has taken the screenplay as his libretto almost verbatim.  Glass's music also can have a sensual, hypnotic effect . . . and the opera is spellbinding.   

I imagine Mahler would have liked it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:16:23 PM by ggl »

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
I only read this topic for the first time today, and I'me considering to order Casella's 1st, 2nd and 3rd Symphonies. All these comments, and Dave Hurwitz' enthusiastic reviews really make me want to hear this. I'm a big fan of the Atterberg symphonies, but what can people tell me about the Weingartner symphonies?

Thanks!
Freddy
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:47:18 PM by Freddy van Maurik »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 02:41:51 PM »
I'm a big fan the the Atterberg symphonies, but what can people tell me about the Weingartner symphonies?

Thanks!
Freddy
Freddy,

I heard one symphony by Weingartner (can't recall which one it was though). I was not too impressed by it. It sounded too weak and like a hybrid of Bruckner, Schubert, and a bit of Mahler, with little distinction. It didn't hold my attention too long. I like Atterberg a lot OTOH, and don't think Weingartner is in the same league.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk