Author Topic: DH gives a lukewarm 7/8 rating for the new Stenz M5th  (Read 4905 times)

Offline John Kim

DH gives a lukewarm 7/8 rating for the new Stenz M5th
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:01:54 PM »
GUSTAV MAHLER
Symphony No. 5
Gürzenich Orchestra Cologne

Markus Stenz

Oehms Classics- 650(SACD)
Reference Recording - Stenz (ABC Classics)

rating 7/8

Markus Stenz recorded a thrilling performance of this symphony with the Melbourne Symphony for ABC Classics, but this new version is nowhere near as good. Indeed, it calls into question his consistency as a conductor more generally. The first movement sounds rushed here, particularly at the climaxes, while the fleet tempo doesn't permit the players to inflect the principal melody as they did in Melbourne. At the same time, details such as the soft percussion in both the first and second movements fail to register as they should, while the big moments in the latter lack the necessary power. The scherzo goes well, as it did previously, but the Adagietto is also more than a minute faster than before--not unacceptably so, but again, it makes you question whether or not a Stenz recording represents a mature, thoughtful view of the work or simply what happened on the day.

The sonics are decent but somewhat shallow and lacking richness in the bass, and this may contribute to the less than overwhelming impression of this new interpretation. I am troubled by this further evidence that artists today no longer regard recordings as special occasions to set down something of permanent value, but rather as just another day at the office. Mahler, of all composers, should never sound like that.

--David Hurwitz

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: DH gives a lukewarm 7/8 rating for the new Stenz M5th
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:35:09 PM »
I think I'll hunt down the Melbourne recording instead.

--Todd

Offline GL

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:50:28 AM »
I think I'll hunt down the Melbourne recording instead.

--Todd

In 2006, when I purchased the box set with Mahler's Fifth (Amazon ASIN:  B0007V6VFU), it was cheaper. Anyway, better the box than the single release (http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Sym-No-5/dp/B00020PQSE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1280828377&sr=1-5).

What about the Second with the same forces?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AOF95C/sr=1-3/qid=1280828377/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1280828377&sr=1-3&seller=

Did anyone listen to it?

L.

P.S.

Similar voting, different (even mocking) considerations.

http://www.classicstodayfrance.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=3333
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:53:52 PM by GL »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:57:30 PM »
Is this a "new" review?  The M4 is new, but the M5 has been out for 9 or 10 months.  Regardless, I wholeheartedly disagree:

http://gustavmahlerboard.com/forum/index.php?topic=993.msg8559#msg8559

Scott
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:30:38 AM »
I prefer the Melbourne one also, but I don't think the differences are anywhere as great as Dave makes them out to be. They're slightly different, and Stenz's Cologne M5 is still one of the better M5's to come a long, long time - since Stenz's first one, actually.

Offline vvrinc

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:12:56 AM »
I liked the new Stenz M5 very much. And, of the two, Cologne is a much better band, please. I own the Melbourne M2 with Stenz and found it attractive but hardly anything I would put in my top-10 M2 listening preferences. A "Gee, he departs for better musical shores, let's rejoice for him, family and pocketbook!" type of moment.

I noticed that DH just gave a rave to the Stenz M4. I had a lot of problems with this one. Some of my issues are concerned with uncorrected goofs by the orchestra that no one heard in the editing room (or didn't want to deal with, maybe). Most surprising was that it bored me. I can't bring myself to even give it a second listen any time soon. I am still dealing with the incredible Gergiev 4th. (I know, I know, have fun with that but I am positive that a few of you will fall for it in time.  :o)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk