Author Topic: Zinman ZTO M9m samples  (Read 42761 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Zinman ZTO M9m samples
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 07:09:23 AM »
Sounds very promising!

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 04:32:00 AM »
Here's a direct link to Sony/BMG Classical's own website, which I think sounds a little clearer

http://klassik.sonymusic.de/David-Zinman/Mahler-Symphony-No-9/P/2390952

John, have you listened to this? Am I going crazy, or does the start of the first movement sound completely re-harmonized? Is this some new critical edition? Certainly Romy thinks I'm crazy, but perhaps the download is somehow producing weird overtones (?). In the second Mvt., those crunched chords in the low strings sound fairly different too. Very weird. Anyone else?

Barry

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 04:36:02 AM »
Wow, I listened through these again, and the start of the second movement sounds quite different to me - mostly in the harmonizations. Anyone else notice this?

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 05:07:28 AM »
Aside from balance, I don't detect material differences between this new Zinman performance and the Chailly version (to which the new recording, on first exposure, was most similar).  Maybe others will differ or prove me wrong?
Russ Smiley

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 05:14:48 AM »
I want to be wrong, so maybe the download is causing some weird distortions on my end. Sounds a little like Mahler meets Milhaud (polytonality), which is sort of a cool idea, I suppose.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 05:16:07 AM »
I agree with Russ. Zinman seems to have balanced or voiced some of the chords differently than usual (something I enjoy about his Mahler in general), but I hear no different notes present. Additionally, there seems to be an odd electronic "thickening" of some of the string chords Barry refers to in the second movement; this could be an artifact of the Lo-Rez samples that have been posted. Disclaimer: I'm listening right now on decent but by no means reference-quality computer speakers.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 05:18:51 AM »
Good, I want to be wrong. I'm at work, and am listening on a pretty mediocre set of headphones.

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 05:26:43 AM »
In general, with these Zinman ZTO recordings, I feel like I am listening from in the audience, many rows from the stage but in a 'crisp' yet deep hall.  Often I find modern recordings provide an 'on-the-podium' perspective (compete with the ocnductor's humming, grunting, and stomps): while fascinating, this isn't what I hear in the the hall as a spectator.  This 'realism' is one of the reasons I appreciate this Zinman/ZTO series.  It feels more true to my own experiences while also giving great detail to the inner parts that otherwise are often buried.  This M9 seem consistent with my prior experience with the series.
Russ Smiley

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 05:53:40 AM »
Here's a direct link to Sony/BMG Classical's own website, which I think sounds a little clearer

http://klassik.sonymusic.de/David-Zinman/Mahler-Symphony-No-9/P/2390952

John, have you listened to this? Am I going crazy, or does the start of the first movement sound completely re-harmonized? Is this some new critical edition? Certainly Romy thinks I'm crazy, but perhaps the download is somehow producing weird overtones (?). In the second Mvt., those crunched chords in the low strings sound fairly different too. Very weird. Anyone else?

Barry
Barry,

Indeed the beginning of 1st movt. is unusually balanced in that the first and second horn notes marked p which take over from the opening note by the low cello are way too weak, almost inaudible. However, three bars later there are ascending notes by stopped (snarling) horns and they are clearly audible. But then I realize they are marked f. So, it seems that Zinman wanted to make the notes sharply contrasted by applying two very different dynamics to them. I've never heard them played this way and I don't think what I am hearing is due to the download effect.

Yes, the strings in the beginning of II are also very loud and strong, stronger than usual.

Very interesting.

John,
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:58:13 AM by John Kim »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 05:56:39 AM »
Naturally, all this is making me crazy and have my fingers crossed :D ;D ???.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 06:53:27 AM »
Wow...the beginning of the 1st movement sounds glorious.  My hopes have risen.

--Todd

Offline mahler09

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 10:06:47 PM »
In general, with these Zinman ZTO recordings, I feel like I am listening from in the audience, many rows from the stage but in a 'crisp' yet deep hall. 

This stood out to me as well.  However one thing that bugged me a bit in the samples was the 2nd theme in the 2nd movement (clarinet entrance after bassoons).  It seemed to lack the Mahler "grotesque" quality and instead came across as a bit timid. 

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 11:17:47 PM »
Yes, the second movement did not have as much awkwardness as some other recordings do.  But oh what a glorious sound!  I've liked Zinman's ZTO Mahler recordings because of the acoustics in the hall--very vibrant.

Oh, and that Finale...can you say "dreamy"?  Definitely very delicious indeed.  I can't wait for this one...any word on anETA here in the states?
Michael

Offline mahler09

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 11:26:27 PM »
Does anybody know when this is coming out?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk