Author Topic: BSO/Ozawa M2  (Read 5626 times)

Offline akiralx

BSO/Ozawa M2
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:10:53 PM »
I see the recent Ozawa 75th birthday boxset has his Boston M2 included - any thoughts on that performance?  I'm not sure if it is as good as his more recent SKO one.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: BSO/Ozawa M2
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »
While the BSO one isn't bad, per say (rather fast ending), the SKO one is clearly better.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »
I like both versions.

Differences are, slightly less hurried ending to V. (SKO), more drive and energy (SKO), more refined playing (BSO).

I can live with either recording.

I was there at one of the Ozawa led concerts of Resurrection symphony in Boston.

John,
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 09:33:03 PM by John Kim »

Offline consul

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:29:40 PM »
Sorry for bumping this old thread.

I recently bought Ozawa's BSO recording of M2. I already had the Saito Kinen recording, which is one of my favorites.

The recording with the BSO certainly stands out in the excellent playing of the orchestra. Especially the second movement is lovely: so delicate and refined. The third movement could be played more fluidly and seems a bit rushed. The Ritardando - maestoso in the finale (very important to me) is absolutely exciting. But there is a bit of a balance problem in the sound when it comes to the choral part (soloists also too much in the background). But all in all: another exciting, beautifully played M2 by Ozawa.

The Saito Kinen recording is still the best however.

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 03:27:16 PM »
Often the first recording that I listen to becomes my "standard."  This is the case with Ozawa's BSO M2.

It was, I think, my third Mahler recording, the first being Kubelik's M1 (which I love), second being Solti's M8 (which did not become my "go-to" M8).

Back to Ozawa's M2, I get a thrill from  the storminess of the first movement, and still get a wonderful jolt when the violin players bang their bows on the music stands (or whatever it is that makes that "extra-musical" sound). 

Lately I've been looking for a reasonably priced box of the BSO/Ozawa Mahler Symphonies.  Not much luck on that front. 

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 03:54:55 PM »
Lately I've been looking for a reasonably priced box of the BSO/Ozawa Mahler Symphonies. Not much luck on that front.

This link was recently posted by death.or.glory in another thread—it seems like a great deal at EUR 49,99.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Gustav-Mahler-1860-1911-Symphonien-Nr-1-10/hnum/3578840

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »
Lately I've been looking for a reasonably priced box of the BSO/Ozawa Mahler Symphonies. Not much luck on that front.

This link was recently posted by death.or.glory in another thread—it seems like a great deal at EUR 49,99.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Gustav-Mahler-1860-1911-Symphonien-Nr-1-10/hnum/3578840

James

Thanks, James.  This is a good deal. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk