Author Topic: Marcus Stenz "DKW": well worth the trouble and expense.  (Read 3488 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Marcus Stenz "DKW": well worth the trouble and expense.
« on: September 04, 2010, 07:28:21 PM »
I think the new Stenz "DKW" is outstanding (Oehms). Every song sounds totally animated, but without being exaggerated via the tempi. The sound is excellent, and so too are the vocalists: Christiane Oelze and Michael Volle. The songs that are essentially a dialog between a man and a woman are sung that way, just like on the famous Bernstein/Ludwig/Berry recording. There's going to be a lot attention poured on to the upcoming Boulez and MTT recordings of "DKW" (I think MTT is just doing the baritone songs), but this excellent Stenz one shouldn't be swept to the wayside, in spite of it's high cost (I'm sure the Tilson Thomas will cost even more). And yes, it's an sacd/cd hybrid.

Offline vvrinc

Re: Marcus Stenz "DKW": well worth the trouble and expense.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »
Thank you for the brief review. I agree, Barry, it's a wonderful recording. My previous most-favorite for performance and sound was the Tennstedt, with Popp and Weikl.

I look forward to the Boulez but, as for MTT, I buy his recordings only because of the San Francisco Symphony.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk