Author Topic: to: Leo; re: Maazel M8  (Read 10556 times)

Offline Damfino

Re: to: Leo; re: Maazel M8
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 09:28:07 PM »
Leo, did you ever hear the Maazel complete Beethoven cycle with the Cleveland Orchestra?

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 10:57:43 PM »
Leo, did you ever hear the Maazel complete Beethoven cycle with the Cleveland Orchestra?

No, I haven't heard that...is it worth checking out?  I wonder how the Cleveland sounds compared to the VPO? 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
.    .     .    much like the VPO, only located in Cleveland. Seriously, which VPO: Erich Kleiber, Knappertsbusch; Schuricht; Furtwaengler; Karajan; Bohm; Schmidt-Isserstedt; Berstein; Rattle?

Leo,

You're the only the person I know who has expressed such a liking for the Maazel Mahler cycle, and his eigth in partcular. For me, Maazel's Celibidache-like tempi just get too much in the way. But I do recognize all of the positive points that you mention. If Maazel had just taken Part II's ending a bit slower, instead of speeding up - combined with more pipe organ in the mix - I might really take his 8th to heart. One thing I do like about it, is that the orchestra and chorus seem so well integrated. You don't get the sense that the chorus is coming through a different set of microphones. For me, that's the big problem with the highly touted Solti M8 - it sounds like every section and every soloist has their own microphone; all placed strangely in a oddly shaped room (which is exactly how the Solti 8th was recorded!). But I have to hand it to you, Leo, you're able to articulate very clearly as to why you like something that isn't considered popular or like-able. You're a beacon of independence, but you're able to express why so. Charles Ives would be proud of you.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:35:10 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 04:13:35 AM »
A big thanks for your kind comments Barry  8)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 04:15:08 AM by Leo K »

Offline Damfino

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 01:42:59 PM »
No, I haven't heard that (Maazel/Cleveland Beethoven cycle)...is it worth checking out?  I wonder how the Cleveland sounds compared to the VPO?

Actually, no.  Maazel and the Clevelanders did a great job with that Beethoven cycle, but it was among the most poorly recorded cycles ever.  I had the Columbia LP version in the late 70's when it came out.  When I found the CD set, I'd hoped the recordings were remastered, but they sounded as flat and hollow as the LP version.

I cannot exactly describe what is wrong with the sound.  It's as if you start playing the discs with a decent stereo system, but the sound that comes out is more like something from a boombox.  Too bad, it would have been one of the great cycles IMO had the recording been done properly.  There are a few cycles that are well played and conducted and recorded well, so give the Maazel set a pass (if you can even find it).

Incidentally, in contrast to his Mahler, the tempos in his Beethoven were rather brisk for their time (though not as fast as some conductors today do them).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk