Author Topic: Fav M2 recordings (from 2000-present)?  (Read 10702 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Fav M2 recordings (from 2000-present)?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 09:21:16 PM »
i'd agree with Barry about the Boulez M2; for some reason the CD is not as compelling as the live performance.

Barry, the organ in the Nott M2 has plenty of heft, IMO. I find that Nott's cycle is highly variable; his M1 did not impress me and his M3 is all over the place. Very odd. That said, i reckon his M2 is up there with the really good 'uns.

How do you like Nott's M9th? ???

John,

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 10:48:25 PM »
John

I've only heard his first three Mahler symphonies and seen mixed reviews of his Ninth. Is it worth acquiring?

bws

Dan

Offline John Kim

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 05:15:55 AM »
John

I've only heard his first three Mahler symphonies and seen mixed reviews of his Ninth. Is it worth acquiring?

bws

Dan
Oh, yes, it's a top notch M9th. It seems Nott listened to Karajan, Klemperer, Walter, Giulini, and all the fine recordings of the Ninth before him and digested them to create his own version. He never misses all the nailing point in the score and yet manage to integrate them into a very convincing whole.

It got a couple of mixed reviews (e.g. DH) but mostly received rave reviews.

Great sound too.

John,

Offline brunumb

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 07:48:49 AM »
For those who might like the CSO/Haitink recording, Presto in the UK have this heavily discounted in a clearance sale.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/CSO%2BResound/CSOR901914

Offline hrandall

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 08:22:58 PM »
I'll add my "Jr. Member" two cents for what it's worth: I like both the recently released Jurowski / LPO and also the Tennstedt / LPO live recordings. However, I do realize that Tennstedt is not everyone's cup of tea (nor even mine every day, or in every symphony).

I have the Fischer M2, and really want to like it more than I do. I can appreciate it is a fine recording and performance... and yet I find I don't reach for it very often when I want to hear the Second. Perhaps it will grow on me over time.

I guess I'm still looking for my "perfect" M2, but I guess that's part of the fun of being a Mahler junkie, right? :)

Cheers,
Herb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk