Author Topic: Oehms to release M8 from Wien's Konzerthaus (RSO Wien/de Billy)!!!!  (Read 4261 times)

Offline barry guerrero

.   .   .  it's coming out on March 29th, the same date as the Tennstedt M8 from the LPO label. Remeber, the Konzerthaus is the much bigger hall that was used in the 1975 Unitel video of Bernstein's M8. It has a rockin' organ! Johan Botha is the tenor, who was also employed in the Boulez/DG M8. Believe me, I'm planning to get this.

Offline John Kim

Re: Oehms to release M8 from Wien's Konzerthaus (RSO Wien/de Billy)!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:52:01 PM »
Barry,

I am sorry I didn't get the conductor's name? ???

John,

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 06:49:32 AM »
I am sorry I didn't get the conductor's name? ???

Bertrand de Billy

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 06:48:34 AM »
Oh, sorry. I guess the conductor does matter somewhat   ;)

Bertrand de Billy has had the WSO Wien for a good while now.

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
And it's very cheap!
http://www.oehmsclassics.de/cd.php?formatid=474

Shame it's not on SACD, as the other recent Mahler-releases on Oehms were.

Freddy

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 06:10:37 PM »
Listening all the way through these gives a pretty favorable impression. Obviously, you don't get to hear the endings to either part, which are THE POINT about the entire work. Regardless, Botha sounds great! He's got to be the best tenor doing Docktor Marianus these days. I wish they would move the women behind the orchestra during the gorgeous three "penitent women" passage. It's such beautiful accompaniment. Better yet, Mahler should have taped their mouths shut and had the singers hold up flash cards at that point. I've always thought that a music-minus-one Mahler 8th might be pretty cool.  ;)

At track 18, notice how de Billy acknowledges Mahler's "adagissimo" tempo marking, but in cut-time; the half note gets the beat. There has to be enough tempo so that there isn't huge amounts of space between each harp plunk, which only makes it sound like Anton Webern (Tilson-Thomas, he made it Adagissimo in 4/4). Nice rubato there too. All in all, I think this is going to be quite good. The men soloists sound particularly good. It's hard to tell about the sound from JPC's player - I had to keep turning it up. Coming from Vienna's Konzerthaus, it's going to sound a bit cavernous. But that's not a bad thing in Mahler 8 - better than sounding too congested at the endings to both parts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk