Author Topic: Writings on Mahler/ First M9  (Read 8500 times)

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
Re: Writings on Mahler/ First M9
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 10:04:17 PM »
John,

I woul assume Haitink's M9 is being recorded, as they have done an M2, M3, and M6 with him in the past.  I sure hope it is going to be recorded!
Michael

Offline Prospero

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 10:41:53 PM »
I heard Haitink's Mahler 5 in London long ago (1983) with the LPO that was wonderful. Also, a very impressive Mahler 9 in Boston about 15 years ago. Best was Kubelik and BRSO in Vienna in 1976.  If I make it to the Leipzig Mahler Festival in May, Gatti is scheduled with the VPO. The 9th is one of th greatest of all works of music.

Tom in Vermont

Offline John Kim

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 02:39:37 AM »
I heard Haitink's Mahler 5 in London long ago (1983) with the LPO that was wonderful. Also, a very impressive Mahler 9 in Boston about 15 years ago. Best was Kubelik and BRSO in Vienna in 1976.  If I make it to the Leipzig Mahler Festival in May, Gatti is scheduled with the VPO. The 9th is one of th greatest of all works of music.

Tom in Vermont
M9th is one of the greatest musical works of all time. YES, indeed!! :D ;)

Are you talking about Haitink's M9th concert with BSO in 1996 or 1997?

Uhm.... it was impressive enough but I thought it was rather ordinary as opposed to his another M9th concert in London around the same time.

Anyway, let's hope he will put a final and his best stamp on the piece in June.

John, ;)

Offline Prospero

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 01:44:06 PM »
Probably a Haitink 9th from around 1996 with the BSO. Ordinary? Not for me. A fine conductor with a great orchestra in the best orchestral hall for sound in American playing the Mahler 9th adds up to something special. I don't doubt that there might be more overwhelming performances, but what I heard was memorable. The Kubelik 9th in 1976 in Vienna  took us to another world of beauty and feeling ad metaphysical yearning. The Haitink performance I heard reminded me of Bruno Walter's stereo recording from about 1960. The next year was a fine Bruckner 8. And in 2002, a marvelous complete Pelleas with the divine Lorraine Hunt Lieberson.

The time tunnel Ring in London around 1990 had some truly incandescent moments.

Haitink can be a bit phlegmatic at times, but when caught up in the music he can have a magical effect.

Tom in Vermont

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 12:58:44 AM »
I will experience Haitinks conducting of M9, too, but in Amsterdam, I'll be at the Concertgebouw performance in May. I have read anywhere that unofficially this concert (15th May) is meant to be his Farewell to the orchestra.... A few days later I will attend Gatti's concert with the Wiener Ph. in Madrid, also with M9 on the program, but honestly I don't expect this performance to be quite exciting (Gatti  ::))... And also, I was present in both performances of M9 by Abbado / Luzern in Madrid last October, that was quite an experience!!!!! So as Mahlerite I cannot complain about this season...

Gatti's Mahler may surprise you.Mark my words  :-*

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk