Author Topic: Jurowski M2  (Read 23512 times)

Offline Freddy van Maurik

Jurowski M2
« on: May 04, 2011, 08:00:53 AM »

Offline brunumb

Re: Jurowski M2
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 10:17:04 AM »
Hi Freddy,
Have you listened to any samples yet?
Try these from Presto :
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/LPO/LPO0054#listen

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:51:23 AM »
Here's what I wrote at Amazon about this:

The first thing the I noticed on Jurowski's LPO recording of Mahler 2 - aside from the sharp, incisive attack from the strings - is just how greatly improved the acoustics are in London's Royal Festival Hall since its recent make-over. I couldn't believe that this was the same-old RFH! Then the performance itself took over. More on that later.

I'm afraid that Jurowski has started yet another Mahler cycle in London, but to rather great acclaim so far (a recent Mahler 3 from him had everybody jumping out their seats). I've also heard great things about his LPO recording of Tchaikovsky's "Manfred", but have yet to pick that up (a proto-Mahler work if there ever was one!). Thus, this is my first encounter with this fiery, young conductor. Predictably - and rather like the case with Paavo Jarvi - this is a performance of large contrasts between fast and slow sections. But Jurowski gets such passion and commitment out of the LPO that everything hangs together perfectly. My only minor complaint is that it was totally unnecessary to lengthen the second movement - basically an Intermezzo type movement to begin with - to almost 12 minutes duration. But as if to make up for that, Jurowski gives us a scherzo that is so fully characterized that you can literally see and hear St. Anthony preaching to those indifferent fishes who refuse to listen to him (assuming that you already know the Wunderhorn song that this movement is derived from). There's poignancy and irony to-boot. That's followed by a gorgeous account of "Urlicht" from Christianne Stotijn - the same mezzo soprano who did an equally fine job on the recent Haitink/Chicago S.O. recording of Mahler 2. From there, things just get better as the finale is superb.

All of the big climaxes during the fifth movement's march section are as exciting and powerful as one could possibly hope for, and the choral ending is superb. To that end, the LPO use a set of deep bells that sound fully convincing as church bells. There's sufficient organ supporting everybody from below, but a tad more would have been welcomed. Combined with the hugely improved acoustics of RFH (The Barbican pales in comparison), you end up with a Mahler "Resurrection" that's fully competitive with the best of them. Isn't this a lucky time to be a Mahler nut-job? Personally, I think that this is a far better Mahler 2 than the recent issue of Tennstedt's 'live' Mahler 2 - also with the London Phil. - that got so much praise heaped upon it. If nothing else, RFH certainly sounds far better here.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:54:56 PM »
eMusic has this available as a download, even though the CD doesn't come out in the US until the end of June.  I am planning to wait and get the CD, but since the recording is multi-tracked, I was able to download just the last 7 minutes of the symphony for $0.49.  Barry is right-on: the ending is superb -- as good as any I've heard. 

I am always put off by 11+ minute second movements, but hey, Lennie/DG and MTT both did that and they are still among my favorite M2's. 
Scott

Offline Russell

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
I see that eclassical.com has just recently made this available as a download as well.  The advantage with eclassical over emusic is that eclassical offers downloads at full CD quality (and sometimes higher).  The cost for this is very reasonable, too: $9.90 for the whole album at full 16-bit CD quality.  The only downside to this is that there's no booklet included.

http://www.eclassical.com/labels/lpo/mahler-symphony-no-2-resurrection.html

I've downloaded many 24-bit (and a few 16-bit) files from them and can attest to the site's (very high) quality.  Their servers are pretty speedy as well.

Russell

Offline hrandall

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
This comes out tomorrow at Amazon US - I just ordered it and very much look forward to hearing it.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline hrandall

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:22:13 PM »
This comes out tomorrow at Amazon US - I just ordered it and very much look forward to hearing it.

Cheers,
Herb

Wow. Listening to the Jurowski / LPO M2 right now. Very impressive. I love how the tam-tam at the end of the third movement carries over to the beginning of Urlicht where the voice seems to emerge out of that lingering, beautiful sound. (David Hurwitz makes a note of this in his book, and how rarely Mahler's wishes in this regard are respected or captured in recordings). The choirs sound marvelously rich in this very moving finale. I could stand a bit more organ at the very end, but the bells make up for it, at least for me.

I'm not (yet) informed enough about all the intricacies of the score to be a great judge of this, but I do really like Jurowski's choice of tempos throughout. Seems like just the right amount of ritardando where needed, but it doesn't ever seem to drag like some other interpretations.

Anyway, for this Mahler newbie, a real contender for my new favorite M2.

Best,
Herb

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 05:24:18 PM »
I like the scherzo a lot also. It's as though you're actually listening to the Wunderhorn song, "St. Anthony's Sermon to the Fishes", but w/o the vocals, of course. Jurowski really gets them to 'characterize' that movement.

I'm starting to think that it's better not bother with trying to do the bell part as written at the end of the symphony, and just play them "ad lib." as Bernstein and Jurowski do (I'm sure there are others who do that, but I just can't think of them at the moment).

Offline chris

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 08:49:30 PM »
While it's hardly enough to ruin the CD, the "bravo jerk" on this CD really annoys me. 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 07:11:54 PM »
Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that. Obviously, it didn't bother me that much. If it were Mahler 6, I'd kill them.

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
[Applause at the end of Mahler's 2nd]

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that. Obviously, it didn't bother me that much. If it were Mahler 6, I'd kill them.

Hear, hear!

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »
[Applause at the end of Mahler's 2nd]

Hear, hear!
Though I still appreciate Mackerras' M6, I do wish that one 'BRAVO' had been spliced out.
Russ Smiley

Offline Roffe

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 05:08:00 AM »
I wish the record companies consistently would put the 'bravos' and applause in live recordings in a separate track, so you can program your CD-player to exclude this if you don't want it. In some recordings this is done (e.g. Abbado/BPO M9). Hearing 'bravo' and/or applause after a M9 or dLvdE performance can also be VERY annoying; at least I want silence, total silence.

Roffe

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I wish the record companies consistently would put the 'bravos' and applause in live recordings in a separate track, so you can program your CD-player to exclude this if you don't want it. In some recordings this is done (e.g. Abbado/BPO M9). Hearing 'bravo' and/or applause after a M9 or dLvdE performance can also be VERY annoying; at least I want silence, total silence.

Roffe
Ditto. I think they should take all the bravos and applause OUT of the recordings.

They are not just annoying but destroys my listening experiences.

John,

Offline Roffe

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 05:25:23 AM »

They are not just annoying but destroys my listening experiences.

John,
[/quote]

I was just executing the British type of understatement.

Roffe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk