Author Topic: Jurowski M2  (Read 23513 times)

Offline mahlerei

Re: Jurowski M2
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 10:30:57 AM »
When all's said and done we can only trust one set of ears - our own. As for Ed Seckerson he's always worth reading - and listening to on BBC's CD Review - but even he isn't infallible.  8)

Offline waderice

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2011, 11:10:26 PM »
When all's said and done we can only trust one set of ears - our own. As for Ed Seckerson he's always worth reading - and listening to on BBC's CD Review - but even he isn't infallible.  8)

With that said, I think it would be a good idea to go on to discussing other recordings, whatever our preferences for or against this one.

Wade

Offline brunumb

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 01:15:50 AM »
With that said, I think it would be a good idea to go on to discussing other recordings, whatever our preferences for or against this one.
Wade

Agreed.  But we need a new thread Wade.  This one is headed 'Jurowski M2'.
How about a more generic thread title like 'Recent releases of M2'.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:18:27 AM by brunumb »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 02:13:24 AM »
I'll probably report on the Stenz M2 sometime soon.   8)

Offline brunumb

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2011, 04:46:12 AM »

Please do Barry.
I really like the MSO 5th and am waiting for his M2 to become a little cheaper.

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »
First impressions of the Stenz M2 are not good; tempi are sluggish to say the least and Stenz emulates Rattle in that downward figure at the end of the first movement. Will listen to the rest later but not terribly encouraging so far. :(

Offline John Kim

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2011, 02:42:37 PM »
Barry,

The Stenz M2 is the one I've been waiting for with my fingers crossed.

I am looking forward your review! ;)

Regards,

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 07:01:24 PM »
"tempi are sluggish to say the least"

In comparison to what? The timings are pretty darn normal for the first three movements. He's certainly quicker than Jurowski in the 2nd and 3rd movements. I think that Stenz's M2 is pretty darn decent, but not quite as distinguished as his "DKW" or his M4.

Yes, Stenz does the descending run at the end of the first movement on the slow side, a bit like Rattle. He also sits on the gradual percussion build-up, just before the fast part of the 5th movement's long march section, for a very long time. At the end of the symphony, Stenz does the bell part as written, and the alternating salvos between the three bell pitches, and the upper and low pitched tam-tams, is all pretty audible. The organ is decent but not huge sounding. Good chorus, decent mezzo. I like the slight accellerando that Stenz does at "Ich bin von Gott and will wieder zu Gott - der liebe Gott", in 'Urlicht'. That was a nice touch.

It's hard to evaluate because there's been so many good recordings of the "Resurrection" in recent times. I liked it, but probably no more than Fischer, P. Jarvi or Jurowski. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk