Author Topic: Slatkin new music director  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

Slatkin new music director
« on: May 07, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
Leonard Slatkin has been appointed music director of the french Orchestre National de Lyon (ONL). They will do the Mahler cycle on five years with two symphonies per season. Slatkin seems to have a solid experience with Mahler.I've read on the board that his M2 and M10 recordings were generally appreciated. Who has already attended Mahler concerts conducted by him? Do I have a chance to enjoy great Mahler performances "at home" in these next years ?

Offline vvrinc

Re: Slatkin new music director
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 04:57:54 PM »
Do I have a chance to enjoy great Mahler performances "at home" in these next years ?

Absolutely. With guest conductors.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »
Slatkin recorded only M1, M2, and M10 so far.

But I greatly enjoyed the M2 & M10.

I also heard a radio broadcasting of M9th by him and it was pretty good too.

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »

I've heard him do a decent M2 with St. Louis in the 1990's that was marred by that weird "Rattle-ism" in the opening measures. (One thing that was excellent about that concert was what the Mahler was paired with: Ravel's song, Kaddish. It was a nice choice.) His Telarc M2 was much better.

He did what I thought at the time was an excellent M3, with Nancy Maultsby as soloist. I kinda wish I could hear that one again, to judge how good it really was.

The M5 I attended made it's way into "The Slatkin Years" boxed set, which he felt was one of his best performances with the Saint Louis Symphony. (It's my understanding from a source that the orchestra didn't feel it was all that great.) I picked up an extra set at a recent book fair, and if someone would like it, shoot me an offer for a trade, and we'll talk.  I like the performance, and I don't mean it as a slam, but I really wish he would've picked the M9 he did from a few years earlier.

I was also present for his M10 (Mazzetti) concerts. The RCA recording was billed as "live" going into the concerts, but there were so many distractions during the nights I attended, (sirens from emergency vehicles screaming down the street, coughs, etc.) that the quietness of disc leads me to believe they chucked that idea. The RCA performance also a much lower voltage than what I remember in concert.

Lastly, he did a fine M7 as conductor laureate. It was better than Welser-Most's performance when he was here on a guest gig. 

Coda: looking back, I also recalled attending a M1 with him from late in his tenure. I can't recall NOT liking it, but it must not have made a huge impression. Yo-Yo Ma did a work by Richard Danielpour on the first half that I do remember liking well enough. (I keep my ticket stubs, and routinely forward the newspaper reviews from a library database for posterity.) I happen to like Slatkin's Telarc M1 as much as his M2. If it were to come out on SACD, like the M2 did, I'd grab it.  It's phenomenal on vinyl, too. 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »
Slatkin is under-appreciated in my book. I'm glad he's getting himself out of the Detroit debacle, as that is becoming a lose-lose situation. He's had a bad habit of getting himself into some personal troubles, and I think that has dogged his reputation slightly. I'm sure he's learning his lessons, like all of us. I saw him do the Mazzetti version of M10 in S.F., and it was terrific. I have a 'burn' copy of his SLSO M5, and it's really very good. The finale is particularly excellent on his M2 for Telarc. So yes, I think you'll hear some very good Mahler in Lyon. I like the idea of doing only two Mahler symphonies per year also.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 03:35:05 AM »
Slatkin led a terrific M6 here in Chicago with the CSO a few years ago. He stepped in for another conductor who had cancelled, I think either Chailly or Gatti. I had low expectations of him as a Mahler conductor but he led a deeply committed performance that had no weak spots.

Next season Salonen will do M6 here, but I will probably skip that one because I thought his M3 recording was not good, and I probably exhausted my M6 karma with Slatkin. That said, I'm looking forward to hearing Vänskä's M6 in Minneapolis later this month.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:03:50 AM »
Vanska's M6th?? ??? ::)

Oh, well.....a la Beethoven and Sibelius?

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 06:24:11 AM »
Slatkin is under-appreciated in my book. I'm glad he's getting himself out of the Detroit debacle, as that is becoming a lose-lose situation. He's had a bad habit of getting himself into some personal troubles, and I think that has dogged his reputation slightly. I'm sure he's learning his lessons, like all of us. I saw him do the Mazzetti version of M10 in S.F., and it was terrific. I have a 'burn' copy of his SLSO M5, and it's really very good. The finale is particularly excellent on his M2 for Telarc. So yes, I think you'll hear some very good Mahler in Lyon. I like the idea of doing only two Mahler symphonies per year also.

Well said!

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 07:44:16 AM »
Very intersting reports and informations.Thanks to each one. Slatkin has signed for three seasons with Lyon and remains music director in Detroit and principal guest conductor in Pittsburgh .I hope he can do something good with the ONL musicians while working with them only 12 weeks each year.
for the opening concert of the 2011-2012 season they will perform M2 with Camilla Tilling and Sasha Cooke ( preceded by Ravel's Kaddish! ).
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 07:53:16 AM by Stürmisch Bewegt »

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »
Do I have a chance to enjoy great Mahler performances "at home" in these next years ?

LOL  ;D

(although I quite like Slatkin's M2)
Scott

Offline Graf Danilo

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 07:04:46 AM »
In March this season he has conducted a M4 in Madrid with the Spanish national orchestra. I did enjoy this performance very much. He found his way with the subtle tempo changes in the first movement, he endowed the second one with the exact dose of irony, and the performance in the end sounded convincing. It was quite an enjoyable concert, in which M4 was coupled with some Mahler flavoured works by Osvaldo Golijov, so I guess you'll have the opportunity to listen to some interesting Mahler concerts in Lyon.

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »

now, witnesses for the prosecution, your turn to talk !
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:37:04 AM by Stürmisch Bewegt »

john haueisen

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 08:27:27 PM »
Slatkin's M10 (the Remo Mazzetti completion) is still my favorite M10.
For several years, it was hard to find, but I see now that Amazon.com has used copies at very reasonable prices.
--John Haueisen

Offline waderice

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 11:12:38 AM »
While Slatkin was music director here in Washington, I heard him do M2 and M8, and both sounded pretty decent.

Wade

Offline Stürmisch Bewegt

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
Slatkin's M10 (the Remo Mazzetti completion) is still my favorite M10.
For several years, it was hard to find, but I see now that Amazon.com has used copies at very reasonable prices.
--John Haueisen
I've just seen your review on Amazon. You have convinced me. I've ordered one on amazon.fr.
Mathilde

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk