Author Topic: Sir Adrian Boult M8?  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Russell

Sir Adrian Boult M8?
« on: May 20, 2011, 11:14:26 PM »
The Classical Shop (operated by Chandos) is offering a download of an M8 conducted by Sir Adrian Boult from 1948 (!).  Could be interesting.  Is anyone familiar with it?  (You can download the booklet from that webpage--free of charge--for more info.)

http://www.theclassicalshop.com/Details.aspx?CatalogueNumber=LM%207415

Russell

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Sir Adrian Boult M8?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:21:20 AM »
.   .    .   sort of shoots the theory that Horenstein brought Mahler 8 to Britain.

Offline stillivor

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 07:10:25 AM »
I think theory is more that the M8 of Horenstein in 1959 was a major contribution to the Mahler revival that followed. The book The Mahler Companion makes clear that  there were performances right from the beginning. The Boult performance didn't seem to have the consequences that the Horenstein did, tho' the biggest boost was no doubt the '60-'61 centenary, half-centenary.

Still Boult's performances give the lie to the idea that nobody, most of all in Britain, was playing Mahler before 1959.

Ivor

Offline Roffe

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 08:06:27 AM »
And Boult wasn't the first either. Barbirolli performed Das Lied in Manchester with the Hallé Orchestra during the 1945/46 season and Harty performed M9 with the same orchestra in 1930.

Roffe

Offline Russell

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 05:45:13 PM »
Well, curiosity got the better of me, so I downloaded it and had a listen yesterday.  First, a couple of caveats: the sound is very poor, even by 1948 broadcast standards, and there is significant 'wow' in many spots.  Still, there's enough to get a reasonable impression of the performance.  The organ and tam-tam are very much audible, actually, but I'm sure I was doing a lot of mental "filling in" throughout while I listened.  Part II is sung in English (!), though it's barely intelligible with the poor sound.  ("Blicket auf" becomes "Look on high"!)  The solo singing is pretty marginal at best, especially from the women, who are just too thin and light (and barely able to come up to pitch).  Boult's conducting is urgent and passionate, however, and there are more than a few individual touches that make it distinctive.  It's really too bad the sound quality is so sub-par.  Overall, I'd say it's not a must-hear, but it still makes for a fascinating listen.  It's obviously of historical interest given that it's the earliest known recording (to me, at least) of the M8, and that might make it worthwhile for some.  (You can get a taste of it by listening to the sample tracks on the website.)

Russell

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 08:48:22 PM »
Thanks for that report, Russell. Interesting that they did Part II in English!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk