Author Topic: D.H. gives Zinman/Tonhalle Zurich M1 a 9/10 rating  (Read 4806 times)

Offline barry guerrero

D.H. gives Zinman/Tonhalle Zurich M1 a 9/10 rating
« on: April 09, 2007, 08:28:32 AM »
GUSTAV MAHLER
Symphony No. 1; Blumine

Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich

David Zinman

RCA- 82876 87156-2(CD)
Reference Recording - Kubelik (DG); Bernstein (DG); Boulez (DG)

This disc marks the beginning of a new Mahler cycle with these forces in SACD sound. If you collect SACDs, you'll be impressed with the engineering in the surround-sound format, which is very natural, coherent, and has plenty of room ambience without excessive rear-channel emphasis. "Natural" also describes Zinman's performances. The first movement has a great sense of flow, and he doesn't drag out the introduction as relentlessly as some others have. He catches the rustic character of the scherzo to perfection, though I do wish he'd exaggerated the Jewish music in the funeral march a bit more. The music could take a bit more schmaltz, and a bit more spookiness in the march itself despite the careful observance of Mahler's dynamics.

The finale, on the other hand, erupts vividly and again benefits from Zinman's making due allowance for the romantic second subject without his feeling the need to slow down excessively. The Tonhalle brass also play very well in their big perorations, though in the final bars Zinman's theatrical treatment of the bass drum and timpani (a big crescendo) can't compete with a literal reading of what Mahler actually wrote: a huge, sustained fortissimo roll. Having Blumine as a bonus enhances the attractiveness of the package, and it's correctly placed after the rest of the symphony as an encore, not as the original second movement (for that, turn to Mahler's first, unrevised version of the work). This release begins Zinman's cycle very auspiciously. I look forward to hearing more.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: D.H. gives Zinman/Tonhalle Zurich M1 a 9/10 rating
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:30:46 AM »
I see that David lists the Boulez M1 as one of three reference recordings for the piece. While I feel that the last two movements are excellent under Boulez, the scherzo is simply waaaaay too fast. I would be more inclined to put this one on that list.

Barry

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 08:39:08 PM »
though I do wish he'd exaggerated the Jewish music in the funeral march a bit more.

Have you heard Glorious John's treatment with the NYPO in their Mahler Broadcasts set? Talk about tipsy street musicians!  ;D

. & '

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 08:39:39 PM »
By the way Barry, whats the timing for Blumine?  Is it a rather fast tempo, or a slower rendition?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:10:01 AM »
Quite fast - a bit less than six minutes. It's very well done. I really like "Blumine", and it must have been an agonizing decision to drop it from M1.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 04:07:48 PM »
FYI - Zinman's M2 comes out in Germany next week (not until Mid-May in the US).  I've placed an order for it from JPC, since I also want the Genesis SACD's that were recently released in Europe, and also the Jansons/RCOA M1. 
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk