Author Topic: Peter Fulop's Mahler Discography  (Read 18404 times)

Offline hrandall

Peter Fulop's Mahler Discography
« on: June 06, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
Hello all,

I have a birthday coming up (a fairly terrifying, middling roundish number), and seeing an old thread here about Mahler gifts, have been eyeing Peter Fulop's Mahler Discography book. For those of you who own it, would you recommend it? Do you feel the cost is worthwhile?

Best,
Herb

Offline James Meckley

Re: Peter Fulop's Mahler Discography
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:05:37 PM »
I don't yet own it. Even for a Mahler junkie like me it seems a bit of overkill—especially at $180.00—though I will encourage my university library to buy it. ;D

The March/April 2011 issue of Fanfare magazine includes a substantial and interesting interview with author Péter Fülöp as well as two reviews of the work itself.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:54 PM »
$180.00??!!  That's practically 3/4 of the price toward getting yourself either an iPad or a laptop!  Save your $180.00, buy an inexpensive computer, get online and go to this web site:

http://gustavmahler.net.free.fr/us.html

What a shame that someone publishes a book for such an outrageous price to take advantage of those who are not on line!  And it'll go out-of-date very quickly, with all kinds of Mahler recordings that barrage the market!  Quite possibly this book may list out-of-print LP, open-reel, as well as CD issuances of Mahler recordings, but as far as the obsolete media are concerned, that's where you need to take time and dig through record bins at used record stores.

Wade

Offline hrandall

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
While the website mentioned is a nice listing of recordings, I believe the Mahler Discography book has more information (timings, recording information). It is expensive, but at least from the description sounds like a true keepsake book. There is of course the fact that it was outdated the moment it was printed, but I suppose that can't be helped.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from someone who bought it with their own hard-earned cash if they feel it's worth it. Also, about the CD included with the book, what is the opinion of that M4?

Cheers,
Herb

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:25:43 PM »
Okay, I'll admit it: I bought it. It is expensive, but then most Mahler books of substance are--largely, I suspect, because of the limited market of readers versus the cost of production. We should note, incidentally, that the publication of this book was supported by the Kaplan Foundation, so it could have been even more expensive!

The book itself is E-Enormous, attractively hard-bound, very heavy, sturdily made, and packed with information. As with any discography, it is automatically limited by its date of publication. But that fact doesn't keep us from buying dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other such compilations. (I notice that Lew Smoley's "Gustav Mahler's Symphonies: Critical Commentary on Recordings Since 1986," published in 1996, still commands a hefty price.)

As for the CD, I have heard it once and have no distinct memory of its quality. It is included as a rarity--the rarest Mahler recording, I believe Peter reports.

Should you buy it? If you are bibliomaniac as well as a Mahler nut, of course you should. Which would you enjoy more: Leafing through nine twenty-dollar bills or leafing through a large (and relatively rare) book of Mahler-related information? It's a reference work to be returned to and consulted from time to time.

But I rather doubt you will receive much encouragement from The Bored. Those members who participate make few entries about their readings. Timings of book-readings are so varied.

. & '

Offline Roffe

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »
Which would you enjoy more: Leafing through nine twenty-dollar bills or leafing through a large (and relatively rare) book of Mahler-related information? It's a reference work to be returned to and consulted from time to time.

Good one. I would think it's more enjoyable leafing through that book (leafing through the bills will probably get boring after the first time). OTOH you'd get about 4 boxes like the EMI 150 year box containing ALL of Mahler's music in very interesting performances.

Roffe

john haueisen

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »
Jot N. Tittle has me intrigued with his remark that "The book itself is E-Enormous, attractively hard-bound, very heavy, sturdily made, and packed with information."

My curiosity prompts me to ask, does it have anything to seriously compete with my Bible, HLDLG volumes on Mahler?  Perhaps Jot will toss us a few more tidbits to tempt us bookmice into that $180.00 mousetrap.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:44:40 PM »
E-Enormous is 12 in. x 8.75 in. x 1.75 in., 6.5 lbs., 564 +4 pp. It is quite a handsome production--and a large piece of cheese.

To see it, go to:

http://www.mahlerrecords.com/product_info.php?products_id=1578&osCsid=51ea021b2b3b5715852d091d8f38c661

. & '

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
More information, provided on the page cited in previous message:

--Augmented Discography of Gustav Mahler’s works ever recorded
--2774 items, including all the arrangements of Mahler works (26 arrangements of the Adagietto)
--Every recording released on 78 rpm records, LPs, CDs, Laser disk and DVD
--All the movements and songs timing in a separate section
--The order of the movements of the 6th Symphony also in the Timing section
--The Mahler 4th Symphony CD enclosed with P.van Kempen, which was never released on LP or CD. Only one set is known to survive, so this is the rarest Mahler record.
--Accurate details about the date and venue of the recordings in the Works section
--Artists & Label index
--Colored photos of the first recordings
--A4 Hard cover, 586 pages

. & '

Offline hrandall

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 10:04:58 PM »
The book is very tempting - I work in the publishing industry and love a fine book. However, Roffe's mention of how many CD's or box sets the same amount of money would fetch is a great point. Decisions, decisions....

Cheers,
Herb

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 02:47:25 AM »
I have the first edition of Fulop which, of course, is now out-of-date. Indeed, I've gotten a lot of enjoyment and information out of it. I could not, however, afford it at $180. I don't think that sentiment makes the majority of us 'posters' lazy readers, or some kind of nin-kum-poops. It means what it means: it's expensive!

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 06:14:08 PM »
Hello again, Herb--

As I tried to sleep last night, I reflected upon the complexities that are involved in such a decision. For a start, what are the various alternatives available?

If one is building a Mahler "library," this discography might stand either at the top or the bottom of a books-to-buy list, depending on the type of books one seeks; the de la Grange volumes, for example, with their wide variety of information might be preferred--or the Donald Mitchell books. Then there are the various collections of Mahler's letters, or the Jonathan Carr bio that has just been reissued, and the English translation of Gustav Mahler, by Jens Malte Fischer, scheduled to come out in the US on July 26.

Or if one is building a collection of Mahler recordings, certain ones may give more pleasure than any discography; I, for one, would certainly prefer having the NYPO Mahler Broadcasts CDs to most books if faced with an either-or decision--ditto the Bernstein DVD set or Abaddo's Luzerne Festival Orchestra Mahler quasi-cycle.

And so it goes. The answer to your query, then, ends up being "It depends."

Not very helpful, right? Unless you are trying to go to sleep.

Best wishes, Herb.

. & '

john haueisen

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 06:21:34 PM »
After pondering HLDLG, Carr, Mitchell, the letters, and this new discogaphy, I for one will sleep better now. 

Offline waderice

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
I, for one, can't see spending $180.00 for a book of advice on recommended Mahler recordings (one man's opinion) when I can get all kinds of free advice here, not to mention one (Barry) who offers a musician's insight on how these works should sound and be performed, because he has all the notes and notations on paper in front of him, compared to the vast majority of us who cannot follow or understand an orchestral score.  And yes, recognized critics like David Hurwitz can exercise some influence, though we may agree to disagree at times.

When I purchased HLdLG's volume 4 of his Mahler biography, I had already purchased all of the earlier volumes, and decided that it would be a waste not to get volume 4.  So I almost choked when I plunked down my money for the in-excess-of-$100.00 price, but the information in that volume, not available anywhere else, was worth it.

Wade
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:59:44 PM by waderice »

Offline Roffe

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 05:29:19 AM »
Hear, hear. I agree fulheartedly with Wade.

Roffe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk