Author Topic: Wöss piano reduction of M8  (Read 6005 times)

Offline hrandall

Wöss piano reduction of M8
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »
Fellow Mahler-Nuts!

I have a real Mahler brain teaser for you: I recently learned while reading Stephen E. Hefling's (excellent) book on DLvdE that there was a piano reduction made of Mahler's 8th symphony by Josef Venantius von Wöss. Apparently Mahler was very pleased with it.

I do see it in the Universal Edition catalogue as a special order, and the score can be downloaded for free from the IMSLP library. Naturally I began looking for a recording of it and am finding absolutely nothing!

So two questions:

1. Has there ever been a recording made of the Wöss M8 piano reduction?

2. Have any of you ever heard it in performance?

Eagerly awaiting enlightenment...
Herb Randall

Offline waderice

Re: Wöss piano reduction of M8
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »
I can't say anything about the Wöss piano reduction, but if you can't locate a copy of it, the next best thing would be the piano accompaniment of the choral edition for the soloists and choristers.  From my involvement in the chorus in performances of the work years ago, I don't recall if the choral edition had the instrumental section in a piano reduction that starts Part II and leading up to the initial singing in that movement or not, for we could not buy it and had to turn it in, because the choral edition was rented.  Maybe someone else can help out here.

Wade
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:53:31 PM by waderice »

Offline hrandall

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
Here is a link to the Wöss piano reduction score for the curious:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.8_(Mahler,_Gustav)#For_Piano_4_Hands_.28W.C3.B6ss.29

Herb

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:11:12 AM »
I can't say anything about the Wöss piano reduction, but if you can't locate a copy of it, the next best thing would be the piano accompaniment of the choral edition for the soloists and choristers.  From my involvement in the chorus in performances of the work years ago, I don't recall if the choral edition had the instrumental section in a piano reduction that starts Part II and leading up to the initial singing in that movement or not, for we could not buy it and had to turn it in, because the choral edition was rented.  Maybe someone else can help out here.

The M8 piano/vocal score does indeed include the opening instrumental section of part II in piano reduction (this reduction also by Wöss, if I am not mistaken). 

I am not aware of any recordings of the four-hand reduction of M8; however last year a recording of the M2 piano reduction for two pianos/four hands by Hermann Behn (with soprano, alto, and chamber choir) was released.  Has anyone heard this? 

Mike Bosworth

Offline hrandall

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 03:19:27 PM »
The M8 piano/vocal score does indeed include the opening instrumental section of part II in piano reduction (this reduction also by Wöss, if I am not mistaken). 

I am not aware of any recordings of the four-hand reduction of M8; however last year a recording of the M2 piano reduction for two pianos/four hands by Hermann Behn (with soprano, alto, and chamber choir) was released.  Has anyone heard this? 

Mike Bosworth

Mike,

I was aware of the Behn M2 piano reduction recording, but had hesitated to buy it. After hearing about the existence of the M8 piano reduction score though, I went ahead and ordered it today. It will be interesting to hear.

I still can't find any reference to a recording of the M8 piano reduction.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline hrandall

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 01:07:34 PM »
Looks like I may have stumped you all and Google too. :) No sign of any recording of this piano reduction of Mahler's 8th, nor any reference to a public performance that I can find. Pity, it would be interesting to hear. Maybe I'll have to find a couple really good local pianists - a tall order in my neck of the northern New Hampshire woods.

Herb

Offline hrandall

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
As I mentioned previously, I ordered and just received the CD of the Behn piano reduction of M2. It's very interesting on first listen. Of course, it's not about to become my favorite M2 - but I feel a little like when I listen to the Fried acoustical recording of M2. You can't help but admire the sheer craziness of the idea and the dedication of people to attempt these sorts of things.

More as I listen a few times to this....

Cheers,
Herb

Offline hrandall

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:27:53 AM »
Hi there,

I haven't been able to find a recording of the Wöss piano reduction of Mahler's 8th so I was looking around for some way (besides, of course, many years of piano lessons!) to hear this. I don't have any experience with digital music so thought I'd see what I could learn on my own.

It's not much, just a start - beginning to rehearsal mark 3 - but give this a listen if you're curious:

http://soundcloud.com/herbrandall/mahler-8th-woss-piano

For now it just uses a basic piano sample, I've not tried to optimize it with any particularly great SoundFont. I can't promise I'll finish this... what a lot of work it is for someone just learning both the software as well as some of the more exotic notation on the score! But so far it's been fun, and I would like to get at least all the way through Part 1.

Still... it's a little glimpse.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline waderice

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 03:07:28 PM »
Herb,

As much as you're enthused and determined to find a recording of the Wöss piano reduction of M8, I hate to say it, but I don't think you're going to find one.  There simply isn't enough demand to justify the expenditure for such a recording, unless you're willing to pay a pianist willing to learn/record the reduction, plus a recording engineer to do the recording.  I can always be wrong, but that is my opinion.

Even though Franz Liszt did a masterly job transcribing the Beethoven symphonies for piano, I have seen only one recording of those transcriptions (I think it was the first ever done), and at that, it was quite expensive.  From the sample I heard of the Eroica, I felt the expense unjustified for the set.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk