Author Topic: Mahler's greatest orchestration?  (Read 4018 times)

Offline chalkpie

Mahler's greatest orchestration?
« on: August 31, 2011, 03:14:03 AM »
Did Mahler ever make any commentary regarding what he felt was his masterpiece on the detail of orchestration? I know he said he thought M8 was the best composition, but was there another that stood out for him in architecture?

What piece would you consider to be his greatest orchestrated achievement, and the one that you would play for somebody not familiar with his music to demonstrate his genius in this respect?

Offline waderice

Re: Mahler's greatest orchestration?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »
My vote for Mahler's best orchestrated work would be the Sixth Symphony.  All of the themes are worked together wonderfully, not to mention orchestrated, and Mahler sticks with the traditional four-movement layout for a symphony.  My opinion does not include the ongoing controversy of the order of the second and third movements, which is a matter all unto itself and for those who desire to do so, to argue ad infinitum.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
If we're considering purely the orchestration, I would go with M7 - Mahler's 'concerto for orchestra'

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
If we're considering purely the orchestration, I would go with M7 - Mahler's 'concerto for orchestra'

Right on, Barry! The more I hear it the more I like it, and it keeps moving toward the top of the pile. Seems there is always something new in each hearing.

. & '

Offline chalkpie

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
I concur - M7 sounds the most 'colorful' to me and the orchestration on mvts I, III, and IV are as good as it gets IMO.

Offline techniquest

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »
That settles it - I must get to know the 7th again. I used to listen to it a lot (the old, ponderous Klemperer recording) and really loved it. Then I heard Haitink play it at what seemed like breakneck speed, discovered that this is how it's meant to be and got turned off of it. That was a long time ago and I've never really given it a chance since. Hopefully, by now I've got the Klemperer out of my system and can revisit the 7th with fresh ears.   :)

Offline Don

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 07:09:08 PM »
Another vote for the imaginative 7th and one for the deft handling of the huge forces in the 8th.
M10 Fanatic!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk