Author Topic: Question about open rehearsals  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Toblacher

Question about open rehearsals
« on: September 03, 2011, 10:19:56 PM »
Any one ever been to an open rehearsal?  I've never had, and am thinking of taking in the NYP M2 (Gilbert) at the end of the month.  (Would be taking a train from Philadelphia).
I think this is a final rehearsal since it would be on a Thursday morning before the first evening performance. 

Would there be many stop and starts?  Would I maybe hear the finale a couple of times?  Does the audience applaud?

Any comments appriciated!

Offline waderice

Re: Question about open rehearsals
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 12:40:16 AM »
What rehearsal criteria would apply to M2 also applies to any other composer's work for chorus, soloists, and orchestra, as I've experienced in my many years as a chorister, which includes M2.  The number of starts and stops depends on what the conductor feels is going well or not going well with what he wants the orchestra (and singers!) to do at given points in the score.  Being as the NYPO has done M2 numerous times (and can probably play it in their sleep), all it would take would be for Alan Gilbert to indicate beforehand where in the score that he wants to do different than what's indicated.  With this particular work, all should go well, and a final rehearsal should essentially be a play-through with the areas of concern that the conductor feels need be given attention.  Often, areas of concern usually are balances between soloists, orchestra, and chorus.  I would think that you might hear the finale from the entrance of the chorus no more than twice, but I could be wrong.  A work like M2 at the ffff portions of the closing pages can be hard on a chorus' voices, and a conductor would be wise to limit their number of times singing this part.

Most likely, Gilbert will have a separate rehearsal involving the chorus and soloists, and eventually dismiss them to rehearse the orchestra in movements 1-3 and the finale up to the choral entrance.  I haven't been involved in an open rehearsal like you describe, though I would think there might be applause.

Wade
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:18:08 AM by waderice »

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 01:26:19 AM »
Any one ever been to an open rehearsal?  I've never had, and am thinking of taking in the NYP M2 (Gilbert) at the end of the month.  (Would be taking a train from Philadelphia).
I think this is a final rehearsal since it would be on a Thursday morning before the first evening performance. 

Would there be many stop and starts?  Would I maybe hear the finale a couple of times?  Does the audience applaud?

Any comments appriciated!

Because you sought "Any comments", I'll offer my vague recollections of an open rehearsal at Tanglewood.  Bernstein conducted the BSO in Shostakovich 5.  As I recall the orchestra and conductor were very, very loose.  Heck, the whole horn section came in at the wrong place once.  I don't think they performed any of the movements completely.  I recall Bernstein doing a lot emoting and talking, some of it towards the small audience.  I think there was some concluding commentary and appreciation from the audience, however, it certainly was not a complete concert experience.  Assuming that they were going to perform that night, then I certainly understand the piecemeal approach to shake out the fluffs and save chops for the paying folks.
Russ Smiley

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 04:07:02 AM »
It's probably worth pointing out that an earlier one-off performance of this NYPO Mahler 2 concert is being given in Avery Fisher Hall on Saturday (9/10) to commemorate the events of 9/11/2001. Free tickets were made available to surviving family members and first responders, and the remaining tickets will be given out free to the general public on Saturday afternoon. The concert will be recorded for broadcast and can be seen on public television the following evening, Sunday 9/11/2011, at 9:00PM EDT as part of PBS's Great Performances series. It will also be Webcast on Sunday at the same time at the following URL:

http://nyphil.org/attend/season/index.cfm?page=eventDetail&eventNum=2429&performanceNum=4079&seasonNum=11&mI=0&sI=0

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk