Author Topic: 9/11 - In Memoriam  (Read 9200 times)

Offline Roffe

9/11 - In Memoriam
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:18:59 AM »
Today my thoughts go to all the victims of the 9/11 terror attacks ten years ago. I will play M2 for them and remember.

Roffe

Offline david johnson

Re: 9/11 - In Memoriam
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
I have considered doing the same.  I hope Bin Laden receives an extra roasting in hell today, to celebrate this anniversary that he will NOT see.

Offline hrandall

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »
I plan to watch the public TV broadcast tonight of the NYPO's Mahler 2nd from last night. This seems like a very appropriate way to spend some moments in reflection.

Herb

Offline Alexandros

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
Now M2/Gilbert/NYPO from yesterday 10 Sept on ARTE.

And M5/Honeck/PSO live from Berlin today 11 Sep on ARTE Web:
http://liveweb.arte.tv/de/video/PSO_Mahler/

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »
I'm listening to the MTT/SFSO M6 that was recorded September 12-15, 2001; am a little of the way into the finale.  This symphony is only too appropriate for today (in my opinion)--and this recording in particular.
Michael

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 02:21:45 AM »
Wow! I'd say Pittsburgh is the new Chicago, only with better strings, woodwinds and - maybe - percussion. The horn section is incredible. Sorry, but you would never hear the SFSO horns play 'balls out' like that. No 'slickness' here. Dark, gritty and powerful.

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 03:41:02 AM »
That was great!
Russ Smiley

Offline fausto kantiano

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 04:08:19 PM »
I have considered doing the same.  I hope Bin Laden receives an extra roasting in hell today, to celebrate this anniversary that he will NOT see.

You must be kidding. This doesn't seem a very Christian and Mahlerian thing to say. Can you please refrain from such vindictive, gung-ho gestures? There are also sensitive Europeans reading...

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Why would he be kidding? - I'm sure that those are his real thoughts, and he certainly wouldn't be alone. And as for "sensitive Europeans", many Europeans weren't so sensitive between 1914 and 1945. That said, it's probably best that we all refrain from political and/or religious provocations. Let's just be glad that it's behind us; for the most part.

Offline Roffe

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 05:04:56 AM »
Why would he be kidding? - I'm sure that those are his real thoughts, and he certainly wouldn't be alone. And as for "sensitive Europeans", many Europeans weren't so sensitive between 1914 and 1945. That said, it's probably best that we all refrain from political and/or religious provocations. Let's just be glad that it's behind us; for the most part.
Amen. I second that.

Roffe

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 05:23:16 AM »
Amen. I second that.

Indeed. It also seems presumptuous for fausto to assume the role of group moderator after having made just one post!

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Roffe

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 05:37:43 AM »
Amen. I second that.

Indeed. It also seems presumptuous for fausto to assume the role of group moderator after having made just one post!

James

Hear! Hear!

Roffe

Offline fausto kantiano

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »
Amen. I second that.

James

I'm not at all assuming the role of group moderator! I'm only indicating that I find the tone of the reference to Bin Laden inappropriate (certainly in the context of discussing the relation of Mahler to a day of remembrance), as I do find the response to my observation by Barry (his hoary reference to Europe and the War) equally inappropriate. I wasn't at all implying that Americans have no right to feel angry about what happened, let alone lecture them about how to behave in reaction to it. But I do personally find the tone in which this is expressed quite typical and my point was just to indicate the uneasiness that creates with non-Americans. But perhaps I'm assuming too much understanding on your part. 

Offline Damfino

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »

Can you please refrain from such vindictive, gung-ho gestures? There are also sensitive Europeans reading...

That is such an over-the-top weenie post; I wonder if it is not really a tongue-in-cheek satire? In any case, I got a good laugh out of it.

Offline fausto kantiano

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »

Can you please refrain from such vindictive, gung-ho gestures? There are also sensitive Europeans reading...

That is such an over-the-top weenie post; I wonder if it is not really a tongue-in-cheek satire? In any case, I got a good laugh out of it.

It's good to hear you had a good laugh out of it, as it was meant ironically, you philistines with a serious lack of humour!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk