Author Topic: M4 - The soprano placed "in" the orchestra  (Read 4301 times)

Offline Toblacher

M4 - The soprano placed "in" the orchestra
« on: September 29, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »
In my forty years of concertgoing, I've attended at least a dozen live peformances of the 4th and I can recall only one (a concert by the Jerusalem Symphony in Philadelphia in 1976) where the conductor placed the soprano at the rear of the orchestra, on a platform that a cello soloist would use. 

This is what GM himself did when he last conducted it in New York in January, 1911. I believe though he never specified in the score anything about the placement of the soprano.

Has anyone else ever seen a conductor place the soprano anywhere else but beside the podium?

Offline barry guerrero

Re: M4 - The soprano placed "in" the orchestra
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:02:30 AM »
In Dallas, they placed the entire cast of soloists for M8 behind the orchestra (at the front of the choir, in other words). I think they sometimes put the mezzo in with the women/children's choir in M3.

Offline waderice

Re: M4 - The soprano placed "in" the orchestra
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
When I did M2 38 years ago, Antal Dorati had the soloists seated with the Chorus on the back row, but they projected and sounded just fine.

I think soloist placement is something that most composers, Mahler included, left up to the conductor, unless there were specific directions as to placement.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk