Author Topic: M8 Chailly, LGO Blu-Ray is truly superb (so is the M2 finale)!  (Read 5912 times)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
M8 Chailly, LGO Blu-Ray is truly superb (so is the M2 finale)!
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »
Over the weekend, I finally got a chance to watch and listen to the Blu-Ray recording of Chailly and the LGO doing M8.  I had previously downloaded the stream from the Mahler festival and was impressed  -- even with its limited dynamics.  The Blu-ray is an entirely better experience.

This is probably the best commercial video of an M8, even surpassing my previous favorite from Lennie and the VPO (which is one of my top M8's regardless of formats).  Certainly the sound of the Chailly is among the best available.  The singing is uniformly excellent to my ears.  The Pater Profundus is one of the better ones I've heard, the two sopranos sound superb in their upper registers, the mezzo's sing well and with differentiated tone, and the tenor is quite good (he's not Kollo or Heppner...but still excellent).  I don't like that the Mater Gloriosa cheats in reaching her high note, but at least she sounds natural getting there (unlike the beast that sings in Maazel's VPO M8...and who is the same dreadful one that befouls Davis' Gretchen).  The massed choirs are well-captured and do an equally superb job.  The organ is a bit of a let-down -- so that would be my main criticism. 

Of course, Chailly is not going to conduct M8 in the same thrilling fashion that Inbal did with the Tokyo MSO.  However, I've been stuck in an "Inbal box" on M8 over the past year, so it is nice that this new Chailly one finally has me interested again in an alternate version of M8.  Chailly conducts the beginning of the symphony at a slightly quicker pace than on his commercial RCOA recording...and this is an improvement for me.  Of course, this means that he slows down after the triple fugue and the return of the Veni music -- and it is thrillingly done.  The Gloria music is exciting, with the offstage brass really being at the back of the stage -- which means that they are well captured (and none of this is captured in the surround speakers  :(  ). 

I'm running short of time so...

For Part 2, I've already raved about the singing and choirs.  The specialty instruments are fairly audible.  The Chorus Mysticus is very slowly built to a deafening pitch.  The ending is quite exciting despite the lack of organ.  The final four tam-tam strikes are enormous (which is critically important to me).  Again, the offstage brass are well captured since they are essentially "onstage".   

No doubt that this is a top tier pick for me.  Part of me wishes that I had purchased the DVD so that I could rip the audio and listen to it in my car -- a capability that I do not currently  have via Blu-ray. 
Scott

Offline waderice

Re: M8 Chailly, LGO Blu-Ray is truly superb (so is the M2 finale)!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »
The Blu-ray forum has just glowingly reviewed this performance and provides selected screen shots (maybe not the best, but some, at least) at this link:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mahler-Symphony-No-8-Blu-ray/28989/#Review

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:29:56 AM »
Great. Now I'm gonna have to buy the M8 as well as the M2 (which I thought was the better performance).

Offline drfluid

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »
Besides the sonic and musical quality, which is superb, IMHO the visual part of this blu-ray could be a little better.
The angle seems pretty narrow, i.e. sometimes it zooms in too much for some players and camera captures the same players over and over again! It's obvious the cameras tend to follow solo instruments, but with a higher def video, I think we could see more with a bit wider angle of view.
I think Abbado's Lucerne series have far better visual composition.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 02:59:36 AM »
"I think Abbado's Lucerne series have far better visual composition"

I don't think he's going to do an 8th though. Maybe. If so, I hope he gets to liking the work more.

Offline Fafner

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 04:06:14 PM »
"I think Abbado's Lucerne series have far better visual composition"

I don't think he's going to do an 8th though. Maybe. If so, I hope he gets to liking the work more.

He will (assuming good health lasts till there)...the 8th is planned for the Lucerne Festival 2012. By the end of this month more details should arise about singers, choruses and so on. I'm pretty sure Accentus will record it, even if they just released this one.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 04:08:19 PM by Fafner »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 01:09:34 AM »
Looks to be a fairly good cast, so far. But it's the crucial tenor part that can really hold up the show. We'll just have to wait and see.

Offline Fafner

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 10:29:47 PM »
Jonas Kaufmann will be at the Lucerne Festival for other stuff...it would be great to have him, but if such a name was in the game they would have announced it for sure. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk