Author Topic: New M5 w/Philadelphia/YNS  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Russell

New M5 w/Philadelphia/YNS
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »
There's a new M5 with Yannick Nezet-Seguin and the Philadelphia Orchestra.  I believe it's available only as a download:

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD837654767429  (24 bit/88.2 kHz)

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=837654767429  (16 bit/44.1 kHz)

This is a live recording from 10/31/10 from YNS's first 'official' concerts with Philly (as Music Director-Designate).

You can view and listen to the Adagietto from a couple of days earlier here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkS_Z7wyvNE

Russell
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:03:52 PM by Russell »

Offline ChrisH

Re: New M5 w/Philadelphia/YNS
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »
Any word on this recording? Thinking of downloading.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:42:03 PM »
Hmmmm, I think those timings are quite close to Levine/Philly. Maybe the Adagietto is a bit shorter here. Anyway, Y. N-S did a really decent M7 at the Leipzig Mahlerfest. But for the life of me, I can't remember what orchestra it was (?). Wasn't Philadelphia.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 06:47:41 PM »
Anyway, Y. N-S did a really decent M7 at the Leipzig Mahlerfest. But for the life of me, I can't remember what orchestra it was...

Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:38:31 PM »
Thanks. The BRSO has had plenty of practice with M7 .

Offline Prospero

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 01:17:27 PM »
It was a strongly romantic 7th, received rapturously by the audience. More than decent, I would say.

His 8th in Montreal last year was overwhelming live. My first live 8th, but a magnificent event.

Also wonderful conducting at the Met, Carmen two years ago and Verdi's Don Carlo last year.

A decent Heldenleben but a more involving 4 last songs of Strauss on CD from Rotteredam.

Tom

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:39:31 PM »
I downloaded this a few months ago and have been wanting to report.

This is a real nice recording. The playing of Philadelphia is outstanding. Rarely have I heard strings play this difficult work with such a beautiful, large and dark tone. It's almost worth it just to hear them play. The horn section, while not Pittsburgh, more than holds their own. Jenn Montone is excellent in her solos in the Scherzo as is Dave Bilger in the 1st movement trumpet solos.

YNS gives us a real treat here, I think. The first sections is aptly dark and tumultuous. We get much weight but not bogged down. The Scherzo is has some wonderful wind playing with lot's of character. The climaxes are warm and full. Over all it has a great flow with nicely flexible tempos. The adagietto clocks in at a decent 10:32; a bit on the slow side, not overly romantic. He really lets the strings sing. The Rondo-Finale is basically riot. He really lets the players go. Very much the same approach as his 7th Finale from Leipzig. Throughout the balances are spot on, nothing gets covered up.

I really enjoy this recording. It hits all the right notes for my taste. I picked up the 24/88 download from HDtracks.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
I was wondering if this topic would come up again. I really appreciate the detailed report. It's  amazing that two really good M5 recordings have come out of Pennsylvania at just about the same time.

Believe it or not, Honeck is almost a minute longer with the Adagietto. But wow! - what a sound he gets out of his violas, cellos and basses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk