Author Topic: OT: Music Server  (Read 7994 times)

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
OT: Music Server
« on: March 03, 2012, 06:27:57 PM »
With the increasing availability of hi-res downloads, I am wondering about setting up a music server.  I have a home wireless network installed and run Linux boxes, which can handle the FLAC open source format.  I also have an external USB HDD.

Also, I would need to have the server (or player) run through my audio processor, which has digital DACS built-in.

And what software is required for creating folders (albums) and selecting which files to play?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline ChrisH

Re: OT: Music Server
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »

All you really need is an Oppo BDP-93/95. Essentially you plug an external HD into the USB port or you can use powered ESATA HD's. You can also set it up to work with a DLNA server as well. It handles everything up to 24/192 for audio and a plethora of video formats as well. It also is a universal disc player so you get DVD/SACD/DVD-A/Blu-Ray as well. All of this can be run through HDMI or your analog outs. The BDP-95 has balanced analogs if you require that. Basically it handles every format that you'd need and gives you excellent sound with stunning simplicity and set-up. I can't recommend this player highly enough.

I don't think you can get anything near this quality for the prices, $499.00 U.S.

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
Thanks for the info, but  I am wondering how to be able to select specific FLAC files for playing.  Is there some sort of computer-type interface in the unit?

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 07:52:13 PM »
Yes the unit has a very nice on screen display. It shows up on your TV. It is seriously user friendly.

http://www.oppodigital.com
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:03:43 PM by Vehemence »

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »
Thanks again!  Seems it has wireless N, so it can be get the FLAC files from the external USB HDD connected to my computer, which is in a different room, via my wireless router.

I did not see a graphic of the visual display, however.  Is it a touchscreeen, or does it use buttons on the unit?

Also, what are the advantages of the 95 vs. 93?  Looks like there is a $500 price difference.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
Thanks again!  Seems it has wireless N, so it can be get the FLAC files from the external USB HDD connected to my computer, which is in a different room, via my wireless router.

I did not see a graphic of the visual display, however.  Is it a touchscreeen, or does it use buttons on the unit?

Also, what are the advantages of the 95 vs. 93?  Looks like there is a $500 price difference.

Yes, it has wireless N. It includes a USB Wi-Fi stick as well. The display uses the remote to navigate.
The difference between the 95 and the 93 is the separate analog outs for stereo on the 95. They have their own DAC and are basically isolated from the rest of the unit. If you are using only HDMI the 95 offers nothing for the extra $500.00.

I've screwed around with the wireless streaming using  a program called Oshare. It was very easy to set up. If you're planning on streaming 1080p video or hi-rez audio you'll want to make sure your router can handle the bandwidth; especially if your network is being used by others. That's why I plug directly into the Oppo.

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
My A/V processor has the DACs built-in.  Athough I use XLRs from my SACD player to it, will HDMI offer the same audio quality?  Or is it better to get the 95, with the analog XLR outputs?

And am I correct in assuming that you plug your external HDD directly into the OPPO, either via USB or eSATA, rather than using wireless?

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »
My A/V processor has the DACs built-in.  Athough I use XLRs from my SACD player to it, will HDMI offer the same audio quality?  Or is it better to get the 95, with the analog XLR outputs?

And am I correct in assuming that you plug your external HDD directly into the OPPO, either via USB or eSATA, rather than using wireless?

I'm not sure if the XLR's sound better. That would depend on the DAC in your receiver vs the DAC in the OPPO. If you're using Analog the player would be doing the conversion. I use HDMI because I really like Audyssey room correction. I think staying in the digital realm then having a final A/D conversion is better for me and a much simpler path.

Yes, you are correct, I plug a HD directly into the Oppo via USB. I'm going to add an ESATA hub in the near future though.

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 09:21:19 PM »
Although my Marantz SA-7 player has built-in DACs, I use the ones in my Classe processor.  That's why I connect it via XLRs rather than SPDIF.

Are you saying that HDMI will provide the same audio quality output as XLR or SPDIF?  And if so, then is it better to go with the lower-priced model?  From what I read at the OPPO website, the 95 has been optimized for high-end audio.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »
Although my Marantz SA-7 player has built-in DACs, I use the ones in my Classe processor.  That's why I connect it via XLRs rather than SPDIF.

Are you saying that HDMI will provide the same audio quality output as XLR or SPDIF?  And if so, then is it better to go with the lower-priced model?  From what I read at the OPPO website, the 95 has been optimized for high-end audio.

The 95 is 'audiophile' because of the XLR outputs and the fact that everything behind them is isolated from the rest of the unit. If you take out the XLR's and the more expensive DAC, which only operates on the XLR chain and has nothing to do with any other output on the machine, the 93 is the same. Basically if you want two channel stereo with XLR you'd want the 95. For everything else, including MCH SACD or DVD-A, the 93 and 95 are identical. Essentially it's all up to how you want to hook your equipment up.

I doubt there is any difference between HDMI and XLR. I'm sure many others would beg to differ. I find SACD, RBCD, and hi-rez flac through HDMI to be simply stunning most of the time. I also believe that room correction is the most important part of the audio puzzle. HDMI allows for good equalization in a much easier way than analog. Keeping the chain in the digital realm until the final conversion is ideal for this.  HDMI can sound better than XLR because it allows for room correction, which in turn will give you better sound than without. Room correction is so important in getting truly good sound and is often the most ignored aspect. With my system I can achieve better sound through HDMI than analog. So I bought the 93.

Please note, I'm not claiming to be an expert in any of this. This from my own research and testing with my system. I honestly think you'd be happy with either. They are wonderful machines. The performance/value is through the roof. I've also only found one other company whose customer service is as good, that would be SVSound, in all of customer service land. 

Offline Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:55:31 PM »
I agree re: the Oppo.  I recently got the Oppo 93 for Christmas and have been loving it.  It's a wonderful universal disc player.

I set up DLNA to stream from my Mac using the program Playback; I think it also works on Linux.  It streams FLACs (and pretty much anything else) flawlessly.  I've downloaded some high-res Flacs recently (24/96 and 24/192) and they sound superb.  Directly connecting a hard drive to the Oppo works well too.

I have the Oppo connected to a Pioneer receiver with both HDMI and analog outputs.  I like switching back and forth..just because I can!  All outputs on the Oppo are active all the time.  I think it's difficult to tell a difference most of the time, but that certainly depends on your equipment and room setup.  I have decent speakers, but live in an apartment, so definitely not ideal.

The Oppo is a fantastic deal for the money (even if I had paid for it!)

Ben

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
Thanks for all the richly informative responses -- much appreciated!

However, since I already have top-quality standalone CD/SACD and Blu-ray players, The OPPO will perhaps not offer the audio quality of a Bryston BDP1. It has no moving parts and simply allows FLAC and similar files to pass through to a DAC, in this case to the one in my Classe SSP-800 processor.

The downside to the Bryston (which is more expensive than the OPPO 95) is that the onscreen display and menuing options leave much to be desired.  I do not want a laptop (or other device) needing to be hooked up whenever I listen to music in order to easily select tracks, create playlists, etc.

Maybe the next generation of music servers will have the features I am wanting.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 10:57:52 PM »
This is not quite on topic for your specific situation, but Windows users have several software options for playing hi-rez digital downloads. 

For my set-up, i have a Dell desktop-type PC, with a medium-end ATI video card.  The video card has an HDMI connection out to my Denon receiver, which allows it to stream up to 24/192 FLAC formatted files as found on HD Tracks. 

For software that plays hi-rez files, there are free alternatives like Foobar or Media Monkey.  I use them on occasion, but keep my collection organized in JRiver Media Center (JRMC).  I can also stream to multiple zones (like my bedroom) with JRMC, although not in hi-rez. 

My digital music collection is on a 1.5TB hard drive, and i back it all up on redundant external hard drives. 

My favorite thing about these digital files...i can speed up my 24/192 download of Oue's version of Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances by 6% and make it into the absolute perfect version.   ;D
Scott

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 11:32:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing your Dell-Denon setup.  I have an HDMI out on my laptop, so I might try using it to stream hi-res FLAC files directly to my Classe SSP-800.  Of course, then there is the fan noise from the computer to deal with!

This should work with any OS.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 01:51:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing your Dell-Denon setup.  I have an HDMI out on my laptop, so I might try using it to stream hi-res FLAC files directly to my Classe SSP-800.  Of course, then there is the fan noise from the computer to deal with!

This should work with any OS.

All of my stuff is in a component closet, so fan noise is not really an issue.  Actually,my component closet is a converted coat closet. 

As far as your laptop's HDMI output, IIRC all video cards do not necessarily pass all hi-rez output through their HDMI connections .  You probably want to do a Google search on your model to confirm. 
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk