Author Topic: Coming Soon: Schumann Syms 2/4 (Mahler Orchestrated), Chailly/LGO  (Read 6199 times)

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
I just saw this on the HMV.jp site. 

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2508302

I've always wanted a major orchestra/conductor to record Mahler's orchestrations of the Beethoven and Schumann symphonies.  This is a great start (plus Chailly would be my first choice to conduct)!!!   :)
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Coming Soon: Schumann Syms 2/4 (Mahler Orchestrated), Chailly/LGO
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 05:43:56 PM »
I'm excited over this too...especially the Schumann arrangements ;D

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »
Slatikin did the entire Beethoven/Mahler cycle in D.C. a couple of years back. By this, I mean the Beethoven symphonies with Mahler's retuschen. Unfortunately, nobody recorded it.  Although, there must be radio quality tapes of it sitting in some archive somewhere.

The Schumann/Mahler have been done before on the BIS label. I don't think that they got particularly strong reviews, so it'll be good to hear another attempt. Some claim that the Giulini/L.A. Phil. recording of the Schumann "Rhenish" (#3)  on DG is the Mahler version. Frankly, I don't detect a big difference. I'm just hoping that Chailly throws in the "Konzertstuck for Four Horns & Orchestra" somewhere along the way - it's my very favorite work by Schumann.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 08:23:47 PM »
Speaking of the Konzertstuck for Four Horns, I really like Gardiner's recording from his little box set of the complete symphonies.  A GREAT set of Schumann there:

My favorite Schumann is the 2nd Symphony.  Any recommends?  I've always thought that the Inbal disk was my ultimate version:

(I can't find the exact cover, but it was from this cycle)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:58:15 PM »
Sawallisch/Staatskapelle Dresden (EMI) and Zinman/Zurich Tonhalle (Arte Nova) are both really good cycles. As I recall, the second is pretty good on both of those.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
The Schumann/Mahler have been done before on the BIS label. I don't think that they got particularly strong reviews, so it'll be good to hear another attempt.
Barry

Yes, I have these.  I also have CD's of Mahler's orchestrations of the Beethoven symphonies 5, 7, and 9 from a no-name conductor/orchestra (and it may be the same conductor for both the Beethoven and Schumann).  I was not impressed by any of them, which is why Chailly's effort is so appealing.  I also love his version of Mahler's Bach transcription which is coupled with the M3. 

On a side note, I have a CD of Eschenbach/Houston SO performing the Schoenberg orchestration of one of Brahm's chamber works.  It is highly enjoyable.  I also have a DVD of Rattle/BPO doing this same work.  It's too bad Schoenberg didn't like to compose romantic-style symphonies.   :(
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk