General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Coming Soon: Schumann Syms 2/4 (Mahler Orchestrated), Chailly/LGO

(1/2) > >>

sperlsco:
I just saw this on the HMV.jp site. 

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2508302

I've always wanted a major orchestra/conductor to record Mahler's orchestrations of the Beethoven and Schumann symphonies.  This is a great start (plus Chailly would be my first choice to conduct)!!!   :)

Leo K:
I'm excited over this too...especially the Schumann arrangements ;D

barry guerrero:
Slatikin did the entire Beethoven/Mahler cycle in D.C. a couple of years back. By this, I mean the Beethoven symphonies with Mahler's retuschen. Unfortunately, nobody recorded it.  Although, there must be radio quality tapes of it sitting in some archive somewhere.

The Schumann/Mahler have been done before on the BIS label. I don't think that they got particularly strong reviews, so it'll be good to hear another attempt. Some claim that the Giulini/L.A. Phil. recording of the Schumann "Rhenish" (#3)  on DG is the Mahler version. Frankly, I don't detect a big difference. I'm just hoping that Chailly throws in the "Konzertstuck for Four Horns & Orchestra" somewhere along the way - it's my very favorite work by Schumann.

Barry

Leo K:
Speaking of the Konzertstuck for Four Horns, I really like Gardiner's recording from his little box set of the complete symphonies.  A GREAT set of Schumann there:

My favorite Schumann is the 2nd Symphony.  Any recommends?  I've always thought that the Inbal disk was my ultimate version:

(I can't find the exact cover, but it was from this cycle)

barry guerrero:
Sawallisch/Staatskapelle Dresden (EMI) and Zinman/Zurich Tonhalle (Arte Nova) are both really good cycles. As I recall, the second is pretty good on both of those.

Barry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version