Author Topic: Tennstedt live EMI Mahler  (Read 4753 times)

Offline akiralx

Tennstedt live EMI Mahler
« on: April 25, 2007, 08:43:10 AM »

Just picked up a couple of OOP Tennstedt CDs fairly cheaply - the Chicago M1 and live LPO M5.  Really looking forward to hearing them as I haven't really listened to KT too much in Mahler.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Tennstedt live EMI Mahler
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 02:23:47 PM »
I picked up the Chicago M1 too...still have to listen yet.  Look forward to your thoughts.

I have a live Tennsedt M5 from Japan (LSO) that is one of the best M5's I've ever heard.  Absolutely stunning. 

Offline Ben

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 07:11:34 PM »
I own the live Chicago M1 with the CSO; both the CD and newly released DVD.  I like the performance quite a bit.  It's a slow interpretation, taking about 60 minutes, but the CSO can obviously cope with the slowish tempos and they play the pants off the piece.  It's really fun to listen to.  Maybe not a first choice, but certainly a keeper for me and one of my favorites.

Ben

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 12:32:56 AM »
Tennstedt's late live recordings (1, 5, 6, 7) are consistently in my top tier of favorites for each symphony.  The M1, M6, M7 are all dramatic, slowish but with flexible conducting, and Tennstedt really plays up the big moments.  Thankfully, the M5 finale is thrillingly fast and BIG.  These all get the strongest recommendation from me.       
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk