Author Topic: 3 cycles - modern, historic and live - of the Gramophone-recommended  (Read 5900 times)

Offline stillivor

To mark the 101st anniversary of our hero's death, The Gramophone recommends cycles and assumes it's opening a can of worms.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/focus/gustav-mahler-on-disc-a-trio-of-symphony-cycles

Ivor

Offline Michael

• Adagio Appassionato, Addolorato A Niente
    • My Railroad Audio Recordings
Well, why they recommend the Saraste M9 is totally beyond me.  It would be a performance worthy of consideration but for the very noticeable timpany errors (playing on the wrong beats) in the last part of the Rondo...
Michael

Offline John Kim

Well, why they recommend the Saraste M9 is totally beyond me.  It would be a performance worthy of consideration but for the very noticeable timpany errors (playing on the wrong beats) in the last part of the Rondo...
Agreed. But I'd have given 10/8 if it had not been for the timpani.

John

Offline barry guerrero

Historically, Gramophone reviewers can't be bothered with such petty details as having the right notes in the right place; correct rhythms, correct relative dynamics, etc. "Interpretation" hails supreme with them, which means presenting the music as it was actually written, simply won't do - unless, of course, we're talking about a so-called 'original' or 'historically informed' performance.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:49:58 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk