Author Topic: Ivan Fischer-BFO-Mahler 1  (Read 9095 times)

Offline ChrisH

Ivan Fischer-BFO-Mahler 1
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:09:08 AM »
As the title states, Fischer's Mahler 1 is now available in a plethora of formats, physical or otherwise; you can download a frickin DSD file if you want. All direct from Channel Classics.

Here's the link:
http://www.channelclassics.com/fischer-33112.html

Personally, I think this may be fine addition to the discography. Patiently awaiting his 7th....

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Ivan Fischer-BFO-Mahler 1
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:41:19 AM »
"Patiently awaiting his 7th"

Yes, let's hope!

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 02:06:11 AM »
"Patiently awaiting his 7th"

Yes, let's hope!
I honestly hopes he does the complete cycle. We'll see if he does the 7th. I just think it would be a perfect match on all accounts.

I believe the 5th is coming out in September. A radio rip of the 3rd has also been floating around; this is very good too.

As for this new recording of the 1st? After having downloaded this it afternoon and giving it a quick listen this evening I must say that I'm very impressed. For me the first movement was refreshing; it just sounded right. His tempo is flexible with a great pulse that never stops. Everything sounds so natural and in balance. It is so very transparent. Hopefully I can hear the rest later tonight. This is very much the antithesis of Honeck.

Through the 1st movement this is a 10/10. I must give praise to the recording engineers.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:28:59 AM »
EVERYTHING from I. Fischer lately has been really good, if not outstanding.   :D

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »
Here is a little review:
I guess I will start at the beginning. The opening of the 1st movement, that A chord, the descending 4ths, is absolutely sublime. It was almost like hearing it for the first time. No tension, just pure sound. I must point out the trumpet fanfares and how much I enjoyed that they were in the distance as Mahler asks. This is often not followed, but this can really make or break it for me. The exposition was lyrical, musical, almost chamber like in it's sonority. Fischer really handles the transition from the exposition to the development very well, very connected. I also like how he doesn't linger on the espessivo markings; he keeps that pulse going. When the 4th movement makes it's sudden appearance in the 3rd section of the development it is really how it should be, earth shattering, it should make you jump. You guys made me jump!

The scherzo is really a peasant dance. Fischer truly gives us that. It seems as if he has the rhythms in his blood. You can hear the foot stomping, hooting and hollering. It's rustic and earthy. I love the muted horns and the character of the winds. The trio sections is very romantic and warm, handled with much care.

The opening round of the 3rd movement is supposed to be dull, shadowy and dark. This is generally not the case. Here we find subtle entrances playing off of the solo base, matching his articulation and tone. This lends a huge amount of cohesiveness that this section can sometime lack. This leads into the 'klezmer' section where I get more of sad/happy feeling than happy/party that is usually offered. Again, in the middle section, we are brought down to almost chamber proportions, the instruments singing very much.

The first 2:45 or so of the last movement are some of the best Mahler I've ever heard in my life.  The playing of the strings, 1st and 2nd violins in particular, made my head shake, it's quite violent. I loved it. Your bass drum strike at the beginning makes me want a new sub-woofer. I feel like I could go on, measure by measure, but I won't. This last movement made me sit in silence for 4-5 minutes after the recording was over. I've not done that for 3 years; that was after hearing Alan Gilberts Mahler 3 with the New York Philharmonic.

I downloaded this in 24/192 and must honestly say that this is the best sounding recording I have ever heard.

Also, the Mahler 5th is being recorded this September and will be released next year. Wanted to fix that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:38:42 PM by Vehemence »

Offline hrandall

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 10:29:50 PM »
This recording is available to hear in Spotify now, by the way.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline Roffe

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:51:03 PM »
There is a video (in 4 parts) available on YouTube with M1 and the BFO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gexnIbK-pJA

You'll find part 2-4 when you play part 1.

Roffe

Offline mahlerei

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »
Vehemence

Nice review of the Fischer Mahler 1. Just read the exact same review at sa-cd.net, posted today (9th August). Either it's you posting under another moniker or someone's just pinched it.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/8060#9172

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:38:32 PM »
Vehemence

Nice review of the Fischer Mahler 1. Just read the exact same review at sa-cd.net, posted today (9th August). Either it's you posting under another moniker or someone's just pinched it.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/8060#9172
It is in fact me. Posted it there first, then posted it here a bit later.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:55:05 AM by Vehemence »

Offline Damfino

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
I guess I'm going to have to pick up the SACD of this.

Offline hrandall

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 09:51:53 PM »
This is now available for pre-order from Amazon US:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008975XDU/

Cheers,
Herb

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
Vehemence,

Reading your review om sa-cd.net makes me curious. Who are you, where are you from...
I'm 35 myself, and I've been listening like an addict for the past 21 years myself, so based on your text, I feel somewhat connected...  ;)

I've pre-ordered my copy way back when and just received notice from Amazon that it's been shipped. Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Freddy
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:52:21 PM by Freddy van Maurik »

Offline hrandall

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 01:15:32 AM »
So quiet around here lately! But it won't be quiet in my house for a while because I just received my copy of the Fischer M1 from Amazon - I pre-ordered it last month, and it arrived a little earlier than expected.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
David Hurwitz has his review up on classicstoday.com. 10/10.

http://www.classicstoday.com/review/fischers-beautiful-personal-mahler-first-symphony/

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 02:31:49 AM »
.   .   .  and here's the very brief, 5-star review that I wrote at Amazon (I wanted to keep it short).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008975XDU/ref=cm_cr_mts_prod_img

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk