General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Anyone heard M9 Neumann/Czech PO on Canyon/Exton?

(1/3) > >>

sperlsco:
I see that Exton is re-releasing this as an SACD.  In DH's review of Neumann's Supraphone cycle, he mentions that the Canyon M9 remake (actually Neumann's 3rd M9) is preferrable.  However, that doesn't tell me if there is anything particularly special about it?  Has anyone heard it?  How's the R-B movement?  Is it worth the import price from Japan? 

I own Neumann's Canyon versions of M3 and M5, both of which are major disappointments.  In both cases the Supraphone versions are greatly preferrable.  So I am very hesitant to purchase any others in this final partial-cycle. 

barry guerrero:
Scott,

Neumann's Canyon Mahler 9th is pretty similar to his earlier one in terms of tempi. It's also very similar to the old Ancerel one too. The playing is really beautiful, and really precise. It's not as sharped edged as the old Ancerel, but it's far better recorded, obviously. I definitely think that it came out better than the M3 or M5 that you mention. However, with MTT and Chailly both already out on SACD, I don't think that I would bother, personally speaking. And although it won't be on SACD anytime soon, for a single disc 9th, I expect the new Barenboim to be really very good. If you're going to spend a bunch of money, it might be more interesting to wait and see just how good of a performance this Sinopoli/Staatskapelle Dresden one turns out to be also.

Barry

sperlsco:
Thanks.  Sometimes all I need is for someone to say "no". 

John Kim:
Scott,

I have had this M9th in my collection. It is one of my personal favorites along with Chailly, Bernstein, and Ozawa. As Barry said, it is beautifully played and recorded; you won't find more resplendent string or woodwinds. Soundwise, it is probably the best sounding recording that CPO has ever made. Musically, this one is much preferrable to Nuemann's earlier one on Suphraphon. The interpretation is somewhat atumnal, rather than passionate, but that is understanble considering the conductor was very near to his own death at the time of the recording. Thus, the R-B sounds relatively rational but the orchestra shines through. If it ever gets reissued as a SACD I'd definitely buyt it again. I know there are many fans of this M9th like me out there.

John,

John Kim:
Scott,

Where is the (Japanese?) website that says this M9th will come out as SACD?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version