Author Topic: B.G. gives Barenboim M9 a hearty 10/10  (Read 9885 times)

Offline Psanquin

Re: B.G. gives Barenboim M9 a hearty 10/10
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 07:26:25 AM »
BTW: I haven't listened to the Jansons/Oslo M9 in a while but my memory tells me that the timings are similar to the Barenboim one.

I noticed that the timings are quite similar to the mythical Barbirolli’s Ninth.

Barenboim 77'58'' (26'30" / 15'12" / 13'09" / 23'05")
Barbirolli   78'32'' (26'53" / 14'53" / 13'38" / 22'57")

It is remarkable as Barenboim was initiated in Mahler by Barbirolli. DB tells as he usually played Mozart piano concertos in the first part of Barbirolli´s mahlerian concerts in Manchester. Now DB owns Barbirollí’s Seventh marked score.

My rate for the Barenboim Ninth is just 6.5/9

The central movements are extraordinary, but first extravagant and fourth dull. The sound is good to me, and the playing extraordinary... but the real thing, the Staatskapelle I listened to in the Berliner Mahlerfestage, was poorer.

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:28:14 AM by Psanquin »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Sorry; don't agree. I think the fourth movement on the studio recording is remarkably good - far better than the vast majority of relatively fast performances of it. To each their own.

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 10:18:49 AM »
I think the fourth movement on the studio recording is remarkably good - far better than the vast majority of relatively fast performances of it.

I respect your point of view. There are many valuable aspects in this Adagio. For sure they are absolutely relevant to you. A 10 is an extraordinary rating!

To me it is more important what I miss than what I have. In this movement I like a strong contrast between the two main themes. They are so different in mood, shape, harmonization, and dynamics! Barenboim does not squeeze this polarity out. For example: The transition between the second and the third part of the movement (bar 107). After the extinction in ppp of the second theme follows a strong development of the first theme. It must be 'heftig durchbrechend' (violent outburst) and fff. Barenboim is closer in this sequence to the apathy of a Boulez.

In the same league of tempi, the sublime phrasing of Barbirolli -worked along numerous rehearsals- brings tons of intensity and strength to this Adagio.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk