6 (16.7%)
Gielen
0 (0%)
Bertini
12 (33.3%)
Sinopoli
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Best Mahler Boxset Currently Available  (Read 18642 times)

Wunderhorn

Best Mahler Boxset Currently Available
« on: May 04, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
I would either vote Bertini or Gielen. What do you all say?

Offline John Kim

Re: Best Mahler Boxset Currently Available
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:17:44 PM »
Overall, the old Bernstein set still reigns. The second best set would be either Bernstein's DG or Bertini or Kubelik.

John,

Vatz Relham

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 08:52:44 PM »
I like Bernstein Sony, but Bertini Rules !!! 8)

Vatz

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 10:14:58 PM »
I've got my vote in for the Bernstein DG set.  Chailly would be a very close second, with Gielen, Inbal, Bernstein/Sony, and Bertini all just behind in third.  Honorable mention goes to Ozawa, Segerstam -- both missing from your poll.  Other box sets missing from the poll (perhaps deservedly so) are Waart, Various/Brilliant, NYPO Box, Tabakov. 
Scott

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 03:49:51 AM »
In order, I'd go: Bertini; Berstein I; Chailly; Inbal; Berstein II; Segerstam; Gielen; Haitink I; Kubelik,  .    .    . 

.    .    .   Solti/CSO would be dead last. But if Decca were to put together a Solti box that used his earlier LSO Mahler recordings, along with his earlier Concertgebouw M4, I'd rate that much higher.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 04:53:20 AM by barry guerrero »

Casaubon

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 04:05:57 PM »
I voted for Chailly, but I quite like Bertini and Inbal as well.  It just comes down to the number of favorites from each set.  For Chailly, I don't think I could do without his recordings of M8 and M9.  I'm very fond of the Inbal M5, and the Bertini M3 as well.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 02:55:56 PM »
.    .    .   Solti/CSO would be dead last. But if Decca were to put together a Solti box that used his earlier LSO Mahler recordings, along with his earlier Concertgebouw M4, I'd rate that much higher.

Barry

If I could mix and match Abbado, I would give him a third-place or honorable mention if I could substitute his recent M3 and M9 for his earlier ones.  I also slightly prefer his BPO M6 over the CSO one (both are good).  I love both M7's -- so it's toss up there.  I'm also not certain whether the actual box set has his his CSO or BPO M1 and M5.  I prefer the CSO ones in both instances, although none of them are really among my favorites. 
Scott

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 04:08:37 PM »
Bernstein's Sony/Columbia set does it for me.  Also really like his DG set and the Bertini.

Offline wagnerlover

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 04:19:42 PM »
I only have four box sets, Bertini, Bernstein Sony, Bernstein DVD, Kubelik. 

I voted for the Kubelik box.
Not that I judge it best, I don't listen that way.  But the Kubelik performances are the ones I end up litening to most often.
I've added the Audite LvdE to the set (Janet Baker!!) and switched the Audite live 8th for the one in the box.

db

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 04:34:05 PM »
What about Edo de Waart/Netherlands Phil. Orch. set? I have this box and love it. It may not be the best but is very consistent both i.t.o. conducting and sound. The M3rd, M6th, M7th, and to a lesser degree, the M9th would all rank highly with any other versions.

John,

Offline Last_Evolution

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 08:21:18 PM »
The best is of course Neumann/CPO - it has best M3, very very good M6, M8 is at least as good as Bertini and it has lot of other very good. Btw this set was re-released last year (I don't know if there were made any improvements in sound.)

Offline Damfino

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 01:43:13 AM »
Posted by John Kim: What about Edo de Waart/Netherlands Phil. Orch. set? I have this box and love it.

I'd love to hear that set as I've always heard it was a real sleeper.  However, it is quite rare and hard to find these days.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 02:48:28 AM »
Yeah, the De Waart is pretty darn good. He's like Haitink, only a bit less dour - more optomistic sounding. I saw De Waart conduct quite a bit of Mahler in S.F. In general, I enjoyed De Waart's Mahler more than MTT's.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 03:03:54 AM »
I saw de Waart conduct the 7th in Minneapolis many years ago...a wonderful event and experience. 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 03:19:50 AM »
In S.F., De Waart did the 7th just shortly after Haitink/Concertgebouw played it here on tour. I have to tell you, the De Waart one was every bit as the Concertgebouw one, which didn't disappoint in the slightest. I remember De Waart having outrageously prominent deep bells at the symphony's final peroration.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk