Author Topic: "A Century of Wisdom"  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Penny

"A Century of Wisdom"
« on: March 07, 2013, 02:14:14 PM »
I’ve recently made a discovery which I’d like to share on this forum because I’m not sure how widely known it is, and maybe someone might find it interesting.

I’ve just finished reading “A Century of Wisdom”, the biography of a remarkable and inspiring lady, Alice Herz-Sommer.  Much has previously been written about her and several films made – she is at 109 years of age the world’s oldest Holocaust survivor, a concert pianist, originally from Prague but now living in London.  What I for one was not aware of before reading the book, published only last September, is that as a child she briefly met her mother’s childhood friend Gustav Mahler following the farewell performance of his “Resurrection” symphony in Vienna on 24th November 1907.  I’m amazed that there’s someone living today who, although she was very young at the time, actually met Mahler in the flesh and saw him conduct - doubtless many of us will envy Alice this wonderful privilege. 

However, I question the author’s statement that Alice was most likely with her mother at the West-Bahnhof to wave as Mahler’s train left Vienna “the morning after the concert”.  According to Henry-Louis de La Grange, Mahler did not leave until two weeks later, on 9th December.  The book is well worth reading though, on a number of counts.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: "A Century of Wisdom"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 03:20:03 AM »
I guess she wouldn't have met Alma Rose, as she was put in charge of the women's orchestra at Auschwitz. Anyway, here's a Wikipedia entry for A. Herz-Sommer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Herz-Sommer

Offline Penny

Re: "A Century of Wisdom"
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
Thank you for your reply and for the link.  It doesn't look as though Alice ever met Alma Rose, but one of her friends is Anita Lasker-Wallfisch, a cellist who played alongside Alma in the Auschwitz women's orchestra.  I seem to recall that both these ladies appeared in a documentary called "We Want the Light", made about 10 years ago (I think) which was on the subject of Judaism in music.  The opening sequence was accompanied by the end of the first movement of M9, very effectively I thought.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk