Author Topic: This is even funnier - cymbal crash at climax of Bruckner 7, mvt. 3  (Read 7289 times)

Offline ChrisH

Re: This is even funnier - cymbal crash at climax of Bruckner 7, mvt. 3
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:38:44 PM »
Thanks for this, Barry. That was awesome.

My best friend was asked not to come to a Bruckner 7 concert, Grand Rapids Symphony/Catherine Comet, 10 + years ago. When he saw that the B7 was on the docket he decided to write her a letter. A 17 page letter concerning his thoughts on editions, cymbals and triangles. She sent him a pretty nasty reply and asked him to please avoid this concert. He is also the reason the Grand Rapids Symphony no longer does question and answer sessions before the concert. Now they just have lectures.

This video will make his day.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:32:51 PM »
That's unbelievable! Did he keep calling her or something? If he simply sent the 17 page letter, couldn't she or the orchestra have simply sent a written reply stating that there are many different choices that can be made, and that Maestro (Maestra?) Comet has chosen to do the _____ edition? Something like that. Wouldn't that have sufficed?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »
I watched this again. #11 is fabulous. ANYWAY, what I want to share with everyone is that I once saw/heard the S.F. Symphony do B7 with Kurt Masur in the latter '80s, and the cymbal player slowly stood up, lifted the cymbals, then proceeded to miss the climax altogether. He then slowly put the cymbals back into their saddle, and slowly slinked back into his chair. For anybody who was anticipating that crash, it was hilarious. Keep in mind that that percussionist gets paid $100,000 per year to make such a professional mistake.

Barry

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 10:11:46 PM »
That's unbelievable! Did he keep calling her or something? If he simply sent the 17 page letter, couldn't she or the orchestra have simply sent a written reply stating that there are many different choices that can be made, and that Maestro (Maestra?) Comet has chosen to do the _____ edition? Something like that. Wouldn't that have sufficed?
He just sent the letter, he was hoping for some dialogue. Her response was something like, I know you won't like it, so please don't come. He was most upset that she didn't speak on the actual content of the letter. He did go to the concert, and he didn't like it. He's an interesting fellow. He's the only person I've ever met who conducts in his living room in total silence. Just him, and the score. He likes his violins divided and his basses on risers dead center back of the orchestra. He tells me that when he opens a score, the music just plays.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »
This is hilarious Barry, thanks!!  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk