Author Topic: Finally got Chailly boxset!  (Read 20400 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Finally got Chailly boxset!
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »
Oh yeah, take that!

Wunderhorn

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2007, 09:02:51 AM »

Do you see the similarity in the physiognomy of the cartoon and the Varese portrait?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 09:05:10 AM »
"Some melodies are supposed to make general statements, but when you here it through Chailly, it becomes so clear that it is distracting from the absolute to be more independent".

Very good observation. What you have to ask yourself in a rather detached and objective way, is that a wrong thing? I think it's not - I think it's very deliberate on Mahler's part. However, I would certainly agree that it's not the only way to hear his music.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 09:09:33 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 09:06:33 AM »
By the way, for the all scarry looks, Varese was supposed to have been a tremendously nice person. At least, that's what I've been told by several eye witness accounts.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2007, 03:44:38 PM »
I've been undecided on which box to get...Bertini or Chailly?  Eventually I'll get both, so it problably doesn't matter which I get first.  Right now I'm leaning towards the Bertini.

What is Bertini's M3 and M6 like overall? 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:38:38 PM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2007, 04:41:32 PM »
Well, as with all of Bertini's Mahler performances - save the 8th, and possibly "DLvdE" - neither would be my number one first choice. Yet, they both comfortably fit into the characteristics of his entire cycle:  very well played; very well recorded; straight forward, no nonsense conducting, etc. Bertini's M6 has very good cowbells that are probably less prominant than Chailly's. I don't remember the hammer strokes being overwhelming, but neither are they wimpy. It probably wouldn't become your top favorite, but neither will you be disappointed. In M3, that Killebrew lady will make you think of Harmon Killebrew (Minnesota Twins). She has a big and deep voice - she might be a true contralto. The third also has a very solid trombone solo. The beauty of Bertini's cycle is just the consistancy from start to finish, in terms of the three major elements I mentioned.

Barry
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:53:07 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2007, 05:06:30 PM »
Thanks, thats helpful to think about as I consider my purchase.  I've listened to some of the sound samples on Amazon, and really like the andante of the M2, the 3rd movment of the 4th, and various sections of the M8 and DLvdE.  Based on these samples it sounds like Bertini really excells in the Wunderhorn symphonies.  And I hear his M9th has a 'zen' like feel in general.  I think I will get the Bertini first, as I already have a few of the single releases of Chailly's set.  The main draw of the Chailly is his wonderful M10...which I first heard in 1989 and loved ever since...I just haven't bought it yet (used to check out the copy from the library over and over)!

Wunderhorn

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2007, 10:39:39 PM »
I've been undecided on which box to get...Bertini or Chailly?  Eventually I'll get both, so it problably doesn't matter which I get first.  Right now I'm leaning towards the Bertini.

What is Bertini's M3 and M6 like overall? 

Given Bertini's price and fine preformaces throughout, I would say Bertini is better. Bertini's set was the only music I owned for a period of three months once, and I listened to it every night. The Fifth is on of the best I've ever heard, very good opening to the seventh. Bertini you might be able to get for substantially less then Chailly if you looked around. I'd give you my Chailly set, I'm not much into boxset anymore besides the Bertini, because conductors often take Mahler to personally. I'm might get Zander's set, given that its lecture compact discs were thrown into the mix with no additional cost.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk